Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Making over my new wardrobe

I started writing an incredibly long reply but I don't think it's really needed - I think all you need to remember is to keep it simple. You don't need a stylist - you just need to get more involved in clothes. It's like anything - the more you get into it the easier it is to create/define your style. The more you start to refine your own feeling towards things like cardigans, man-purses and wife-beaters then the easier you will find it all.

The photo where you say you were looking retarded looks fine. You seem to value comfort so stick to jeans, polos, short-sleeved shirts and then when you need to dress it up it's pretty easy. Plainer, fitted clothes look more professional - logos, baggy, stripes etc. look younger.

The accessories are much more important than you'd think though - nice watch and good shoes can often do more than changing to a 'non Gap' brand for more visible things.

Take some time over it and don't just bin everything immediately and buy a whole new image. Think about what brands portray and what you want to be associated with. Seriously.

Go out there and try stuff on. Go into every shop at first. Over time you will find things/places you do/don't like. From your initial post I think this will benefit you more than a bunch of links to products other people like. Although I'm more than happy to do that...
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 PM

take a girl with you shopping. not as a date but be like 'hey, my clothes suck, come to the mall on saturday with me help me pick out some good stuff'. ull get a new wardrobe and get to spend the afternoon gettin to know a cute chick. easy game.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
take a girl with you shopping. not as a date but be like 'hey, my clothes suck, come to the mall on saturday with me help me pick out some good stuff'. ull get a new wardrobe and get to spend the afternoon gettin to know a cute chick. easy game.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats placing an awful lot of faith in one girl, no? We are talking an entire wardrobe and I get the impression I shouldnt be looking for clothes in a mall (?).

but i like your thinking either way.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 AM

these are just clothes you need for college/hanging out/going out, right?

get some nice pairs of jeans. Paper Denim, 7, something like that. dark is good (dark blue), and they shouldn't be baggy, but they don't need to be tight.

t shirts are fine as long as they are interesting/cool and not athletics. try oddica.com, they have some great t shirts and hoodies.

for shoes, check out my thread a few down. some people made some great suggestions for shoes to wear with jeans.

and to dress up a little bit, get a blazer or 2. if you have a Zara or H&M near you should be able to pick up something that looks nice and is cheap. banana republic is another option for this.

for dressier shirts, I would also try zara or maybe Penguin. they make cool stuff that won't make you look to stuffy.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats placing an awful lot of faith in one girl, no? We are talking an entire wardrobe and I get the impression I shouldnt be looking for clothes in a mall (?).

but i like your thinking either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

By all means take a girl shopping with you, but for God sakes don't listen to a word she says. Women have the worst taste in men's clothing.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:05 AM

ty KB4Z and Manque this is setting the thread in the right direction
Old 10-19-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok just order ur clothes online.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:56 AM

Clayton,

Don't buy clothes online that you haven't tried on.

Here's what I'd suggest:

1) pick up a few staples at banana republic (or j crew, or american apparel, or all of them). colored tshirts, khakis or linen pants, maybe some other form of pant.

2) head to nordstrom. even if you don't decide to buy anything (or much) there, just walk around and get some ideas. I picked up a few Penguin polos there, and was happy with those. They have enough youth to them that I don't feel like a douche, but enough class that I feel I can wear them to work. (in general, I'm a pretty big fan of polo short sleeves, but that's just me.)

At Nordstrom you'll also see a huge selection of button up shirts. Pick a few you like and just buy them.

If you don't have great jeans already, buy yourself 2 or 3 pair, somewhere. Ask the advice/help of the store people selling jeans, and remember they should be tight when you buy them. Your first few pairs of jeans, don't buy anything that you would only wear "when you go to a club" or whatever.

3) Pick up a suit, or a sportcoat, or both, if you don't have ones you like already. The Nordstrom half yearly men's sale is good for this.

Go through you closet and really honestly look at everything you've got right now and evaluate it. If you've got stuff that just sits in the closet and you never ever wear it, get rid of it. If you've got stuff that you wear sometimes, but don't like the fit, get rid of it. Etc.

I wear a pretty similar look, I think. A few good pairs of jeans, a few shirts you like, and some non jeans pants are a great way to start. But don't skimp on the basics. Gap t shirts are t shirts, but the fit is terrible on almost anyone (especially anyone close to skinny). Pay a little more elsewhere and get something that fits.

Hope some of that helps.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok just order ur clothes online.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa im sry i didnt mean to hate on ur post, poor wording. wasnt thinking @ the time i guess pokering, that came off rly dickish. my b.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:42 AM

Think of your wardrobe as a more progressive thing. Don't go buying all your clothes for the year at one time. That being said I would start buying better basic stuff and working my way from there.

With regard to jeans, judging from your pics you should probably stick w/ a bootcut. If you don't know exactly what you're doing definitely don't buy jeans online, as a lot of times it's difficult to judge the rise, the way they keep their shape, etc...In terms of brands I think 7s are probably what you're looking for.

For t-shirts I tend stay away from stuff that looks really trendy like Affliction and stuff w/ rhinestones and studs on it. You can probably be a decent judge of what looks good and what doesn't for t-shirts. I'm not sure how much geography plays into this but I have a ton of hoodies. Well made or stylish ones can be pretty expensive, but that's one of the things I don't mind paying extra for. Hope that helps.