Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 12:46 PM

Default M$ Bungie Split

Article

So what impact, if any, do you see from this?

IMO this looks like a lost exclusive. Confirmed no Halo 4 in development and while M$ owns the Halo name it doesn't seem that good w/ no Halo 4 in development. I think this could be good for PS3 owners as I don't see how Bungie wouldn't put out PS3 ports if they are in the business of making $$$.

What do you think? And lets keep the flaming out of this. Put your opinions out and reasons why you think that way.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: M$ Bungie Split

[ QUOTE ]
Article

IMO this looks like a lost exclusive. Confirmed no Halo 4 in development and while M$ owns the Halo name it doesn't seem that good w/ no Halo 4 in development. I think this could be good for PS3 owners as I don't see how Bungie wouldn't put out PS3 ports if they are in the business of making $$$.

What do you think? And lets keep the flaming out of this. Put your opinions out and reasons why you think that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm generally in favor of independent game companies. I think they'll often come up with more innovative games.

As for the PS3 port, given the PS3 sales I'm not sure a port is a given. The profit gained there may not be as high as the opportunity cost lost for developing another Xbox game.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:59 PM

very happy. Bungie is my favorite gaming company, and the Myth series is the best RTT (real time tactic) series ever. Myth 3 was awful because Bungie didn't make it, but 1-2 were simply godly. Hopefully Bungie can go back to its old form, making classics like marathon and myth.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Article

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm generally in favor of independent game companies. I think they'll often come up with more innovative games.

As for the PS3 port, given the PS3 sales I'm not sure a port is a given. The profit gained there may not be as high as the opportunity cost lost for developing another Xbox game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Wii then?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Wii then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. The Wii, while cool and I enjoy it, is just underpowered in comparison to the 360 and PS3. On the other hand, since it uses a much lower resolution version of HD, maybe things could be scaled down for it (like they do for PC games to address a wide array of horsepower).

They'd have to look at the market too. Would a Wii version really sell any more copies? Many people, like myself, have a Wii and 360 so the answer is no for those people. For those folks that only have a Wii, are they really the right demographic? If the Wii is their first/only console, are they really the type of gamer that'd want Halo?

I don't know the answers. I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:28 PM

I have a hard time believing there isn't still some agreement in place that's keeping Bungie making 360 games. What motivation is there for MS to let Bungie go make games for the competition?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 PM

Microsoft maintains right of first refusal in this deal. They basically get to hand pick what they want. The deal was structured to enable Bungie to do something besides infinite Halo incarnations, while freeing Microsoft of fiscal responsibility for their new endeavors - unless they do decide to 'choose' any of their new endeavors. A good scenario for both companies.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time believing there isn't still some agreement in place that's keeping Bungie making 360 games. What motivation is there for MS to let Bungie go make games for the competition?

[/ QUOTE ]

There certainly is still an agreement, and there is no motivation for MSFT to let them go. This is almost certainly a mechanism to let the Bungie players cash in vs. them leaving MSFT and starting their own business.

Microsoft retains control of them with exclusivity, but they get to reap massive $$$ rewards if the create another Halo.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:28 PM

If Bungie could make a Halo game on the Wii with controls similar to Metroid. Then wow.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:08 AM

Was that Halo DS thing real?