Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Default OOT Book Club

I've been reading a lot more lately and basically have caught up to all the books I needed to get through on my shelves. Some of the notable ones are:

(and a bunch of baseball books no one cares about)

I'm primarily interested in non-fiction books, the last fiction series I actually enjoyed was the X-Wing: Rogue Squadron series (yes, I'm a nerd) and that was years ago.

vhawk01 recommended Super Crunchers to me, and I loved it. Books that are written in the style of Moneyball are very well received by me (remember, I'm a delusional wannabe semi-pro baseball player, so rags to riches stories are good).

I'd like to get this thread going so I can get some short reviews and/or suggestions on books that might be up my alley, as well as start a bunch of posts to allow others to do the same. If you have any questions about the aforementioned books or want a short blurb from my point of view, please feel free to ask.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: OOT Book Club

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to get this thread going so I can get some short reviews and/or suggestions on books that might be up my alley

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the books you listed, I think you might enjoy this:

On a more serious note, I read Malcom Gladwell's "Blink" (on precognitive judgments, a nonfiction) which was very interesting, although a bit on the light side with the science.

Most of the other stuff I'd recommend is probably nothing nobody's heard of... Kafka "The Trial", Hemingway "In Our Time", Vonnegut "Cat's Cradle" and a bunch of philosophy. Lately I've been (re)reading "The Aleph & Other Stories" by Jorge Luis Borges, which is fantastic.

I like this idea and will be checking this thread (although our tastes in books seem to differ [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) since I'm always looking for new stuff to read.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM

I read Blink by Gladwell and wasn't terribly impressed, but it was written well, so I can't complain too much.

Der Process (The Trial) is a book we had to read entirely in German for my PHL 402: German Philosophy class, so I'm well acquainted with it, unfortunately. Our professor said reading it simply in English wouldn't convey the meaning. He was actually right, despite how stupid that sounds.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Der Process (The Trial) is a book we had to read entirely in German for my PHL 402: German Philosophy class, so I'm well acquainted with it, unfortunately. Our professor said reading it simply in English wouldn't convey the meaning. He was actually right, despite how stupid that sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having only read it in English, your professor was 100% correct, lol. Still a great read tho imo.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:50 AM

Kyleb, I have had that Basic Economics book for a while now how was it?

I've read The Smart Money already, I liked it.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 AM

How is The Smart Money? I loved Telling Lies and Getting Paid, but Konik is so annoying on TV that it's turned me off to the idea of his writing, as well.

Most of what I've been reading is fiction, but there is one thing: I'll go ahead and say that PNL is by far one of the best poker books, and it actually has information you won't find anywhere else.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:45 AM

Old 09-28-2007, 11:45 AM

The Wolf of Wall Street
Old 09-28-2007, 04:34 PM

I liked The Smart Money it's a very interesting take on the big power sports gamblers.. I liked it better than The Odds if you have read that book.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kyleb, I have had that Basic Economics book for a while now how was it?

I've read The Smart Money already, I liked it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basic Economics is really good: Easy to understand concepts of economics, starting with price theory and capitalism. Good stuff.

The Smart Money was great, easily one of the best gambling-related books I've read in a long time (Ugly Americans is up there as well). Konik sucks as a commentator, but his writing is good.

Another book I really liked (not sure how true it is):