Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: PS3 vs 360 (hopefully) Objective Review

[ QUOTE ]
Final Fantasy is going to make PS3 push more units. Same for Metal Gear, they are "franchise" games for the PS the way a game like Halo 3 is for Xbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about Gran Turismo, though. I think the fanbase for that one died down.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 AM

I have had my 360 since Day 1 and haven't had a single problem yet. I have not run my box more than 8 hours at a time though.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For you people who've seen the Red Lights of Death. Did you have the Nyko Cooling Thingy attached? Did you play it for like 12 hours straight? I'm wondering if I can avoid seeing them red lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other side of the board, I've had mine since about March 2006. Never had a problem with it. I do always keep it in a well ventilated area, but have had it running for 24+ hours many times before. The red rings seems like it is most likely cased by unexpected use since the majority never have a problem, but of the minority who do - many tend to have multiple consoles fail on them. I'd like to think it's just a cooling/power problem but then I see no reason Microsoft wouldn't simply announce this, along with offering proper suggestions towards avoiding said problem.

Anyhow, that aside. I can't imagine the cooling device or playing 6 hour sessions is going to dramatically impact anything. In fact, I've also actually read a number of posts from people whose consoles failed that were actually using the cooling device. Again - no idea what that means. And it's also purely anecdotal. Could just be that of only 1% of cooled consoles ever fail, but 90% of that 1% will then proceed to write about it on the net. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For you people who've seen the Red Lights of Death. Did you have the Nyko Cooling Thingy attached? Did you play it for like 12 hours straight? I'm wondering if I can avoid seeing them red lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no avoiding it. Just cross your fingers and pray each night before you go to sleep that your 360 will work in the morning. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

K not at all thx. I got my xbox360 last year, and I've played it for hours, and left it on for hours and still have yet to experience a problem. Maybe you window-licking idiots dropped it on the deck one too many times?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 AM

Look, this wasn't supposed to be a post for fanboys of each system to tell you why their system is better. The point of my post was to point out that choosing sides for whatever reason at this point is completely retarded. Xbox has Halo and that's really it, but it's going to sell a hell of a lot of consoles. The thing is that it comes w/ the risk that your 360 has a 30% chance of breaking. They have a few games that are playable, but Halo is the only one right now that is going to sell the system.

PS3 has the obvious best bundle if you want an all encompassing entertainment console, but right now there are very few games that are even playable, nonetheless games that are going to sell the system.

Also, since I know this is inevitably going to be fanboy vs fanboy lets please try to keep to facts that have been released by the publishers of games. Lets not be speculative here.

Lastly, the coolers (especially the first generation ones) actually made the motherboards on the 360's hotter, which is the actual cause of the three rings of death, so do some research before going out and buying one.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you have both, what percentage of time do you play on each?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm playing almost all Halo right now, but I'd say in the end about 60/40 360/PS3, mostly because I got Oblivion on my PS3.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no avoiding it. Just cross your fingers and pray each night before you go to sleep that your 360 will work in the morning. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

K not at all thx. I got my xbox360 last year, and I've played it for hours, and left it on for hours and still have yet to experience a problem. Maybe you window-licking idiots dropped it on the deck one too many times?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a stat out there that 30% of 360's fail and they fail by no fault of the individual owners. That means 70% don't, which it looks like you got one of those. Just because you don't starve doesn't mean starvation doesn't exist.

Also, some people just get really unlucky w/ these. In poker we call that variance. You could be a 2:1 favorite 10 times in a row and never win. It's the exact same thing.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:01 AM

I don't think proper ventilation of the 360 has as much to do with the failure as the variance in manufacturing tolerances/processes.

My old roommates 360 failed after I played a long session of Fight Night and that thing could not have possibly been in a more ventilated position and the room temperature was on the cooler side. No way it had anything to do with proper ventilation or room temperature.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Xbox has Halo and that's really it,

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly the most retarded statement in this thread so far. Congrats. Gears of War? Bioshock?

Not to mention the fact that even the same games play better on xbox 360 sometimes thanks to it being easier to develop for.

GTA 4 & RE5 aren't PS3 exclusives. Eventually MGS4 will come to the Xbox360.

The not having a wireless adapter built in doesn't really bother me, I just plugged an ethernet cable in and steaming music and video works great.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look, this wasn't supposed to be a post for fanboys of each system to tell you why their system is better. The point of my post was to point out that choosing sides for whatever reason at this point is completely retarded. Xbox has Halo and that's really it

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Lets not be speculative here.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, your posts in this thread are among the most retarded sir.

Seriously, talk about the most non-objective comparison ever.