Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-20-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: What is important in life?

Totaly taking this post personally.

Obv I'm biased, but there's a reason houses cost more here, and that's 'cause it rules.

Obviously the friendships you have with people that you basically grew up with are going to be very different from 2 year old friendships here. To some degree that's going to change.

Just based on your post, here's what I see, pretty simply.

Cleveland = house
Seattle = baseball

Which is more important right now?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I felt that the people in Cleveland were holding me back when I lived there, since most of my friends were unmotivated and I let that influence me in a big way. However after being with them for two weeks, it's clear that most of them have matured but keep those close friendship bonds that I lack here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I predict you'd start to feel this way again in a few months if you moved back. I could be wrong, but man is it easy to relapse into old habits when you return to familiar territory.

As for what is important in life, there is obviously no answer to this question. You can hear what other people find important, but ultimately it's your own decision that has significance. Many people would probably find the baseball (as a thing in itself) pretty inconsequential, for example.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:32 PM

Well, you have decided to stay out the winter where you are, so you can just get a short term lease and take the next sixish months to think things through. It sounds like you mainly just need some time to think. One big question is are you planning on having kids and if so do you have a time frame? I know you are single now, but that doesn't mean you don't have a plan like "I want to have children and I want to have them before I am 35."
Old 09-20-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously the friendships you have with people that you basically grew up with are going to be very different from 2 year old friendships here. To some degree that's going to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I'm biased as well (Seattle rules and Cleveland, well...) but I agree with this a lot. Especially my first few years after school, my friends from "home" were better friends, but that slowly changed-- it's pretty hard to expect a great deal of depth from relatively new friendships that you don't spend all that much time with, though I definitely get what you're talking about. Are all of your old/good friends staying for good in Cleveland?

Rob
Old 09-20-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I felt that the people in Cleveland were holding me back when I lived there, since most of my friends were unmotivated and I let that influence me in a big way. However after being with them for two weeks, it's clear that most of them have matured but keep those close friendship bonds that I lack here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you read my changing your life thread, but this resonates with me. After being away from my home-town for a long while I went back based on a two week visit where the same thing happened to me as you. Big mistake. After three months it was like the walls were closing in. And all my friends had different lives, familes, crap like that. I couldn't relate to them and vice versa. Not saying that would be your case but from what you wrote, I'd stick it out in Seattle.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts of living in a place other than Seattle or Cleveland?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm open to the idea, I guess, but I see no reason to move somewhere just to move there. I've lived in the LA/SD area and wouldn't mind that, but I have no real desire to move somewhere random.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do understand the idea that it costs more to live in Seattle than Clevelend because of the very things you like about it, right? Weather is high on this list, as is the fact that Seattle probably has a younger, more vibrant/energetic population.

I'd say stay in Seattle. Your friendships will grow in time to be as strong as any you had in Cleveland. Remember, California is two to three times as expensive for real estate...
Old 09-20-2007, 01:09 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, and I grew up in Cleveland as well! I live in San Diego now, and love pretty much everything about it except the prohibitive cost of real estate.

I'm also at the point in my life where I really want to buy a house. That's out of the question at the moment here, but could be an instant reality if I moved back home, which I think about from time to time.

However, at the end of the day, I don't think you could force me back to Cleveland even with a gun pointed at my head. The winters are just miserable, the economy is going nowhere, and the culture there is largely stagnant, IMO.

I've basically decided that I'd rather be house-poor but with a life out here in the west coast than a life-poor homeowner in the midwest.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I predict you'd start to feel this way again in a few months if you moved back. I could be wrong, but man is it easy to relapse into old habits when you return to familiar territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Those relationships go two ways - Kyle was allowing the "bad kids" to influence him. I highly doubt Kyle is the same person now, at least in a way that would allow that same influence.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 PM

really seems like you are overrating owning property. it may help to write down the reasons you want to own instead of rent. you are going to lose smart points if your reasons include "renting is throwing money away", so don't disappoint us [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 PM

but i want to build equityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy and renting is just making someone RICH

But in all actuality, I want to own a house because I'd like to build a home office, full home gym, batting cage / pitching mound in the backyard, and a bunch of other projects that would be totally sweet.