Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-20-2007, 04:56 AM

Default What is important in life?

I've said in this very forum that we very likely cannot know what will make us truly happy in the end, but I struggle with identifying what is the most prudent move for me in the near future. About two years ago I moved out to Seattle to be with my girlfriend who I recently broke up with. There's no chance we'll get back together, so that's not anchoring me here anymore. However, being a semi-social kind of guy, I managed to build a new life here with significant ties to the area:

-Own a small business with one partner
-Rediscovered my love for baseball and play in several leagues here
-Met a bunch of great new friends (many from 2+2)

There are also obvious advantages by living in Seattle over Cleveland - the weather, the people, the opportunities, and so forth. However, I feel that I'm reaching an inflection point in my life, one that revolves around planning for the future a little bit better than I normally would. In Seattle it's impossible to get a house for under $350,000, while in Cleveland the same house goes for $90,000 or less (and there's a lot more choice in the market).

Here's a list of the problems that I'm facing:

-A recent trip back to Cleveland made me realize that the friendships I had with the people there (and still maintain) are much more evolved than the ones here.
-I know a good business partner that would be happy to work with me in Cleveland, and have several trustworthy employees lined up (which I don't have here in Seattle) if I wanted to relocate.
-Housing prices are just insane in Seattle. Combine this with my terrible credit and desire to own property, and Cleveland comes out on top.
-Though I love the weather here, I could just travel during the Cleveland winter months with the money I'd save on cost of living.
-Baseball's now a huge part of my life, and being able to play year-round is great. There's also a big lack of active people in Cleveland, and not surprisingly, amateur baseball teams.

I felt that the people in Cleveland were holding me back when I lived there, since most of my friends were unmotivated and I let that influence me in a big way. However after being with them for two weeks, it's clear that most of them have matured but keep those close friendship bonds that I lack here.

My lease expires in October, and while I'm definitely going to live in Seattle through the winter, this decision weighs heavy on my mind with regard to what decision I will make come March 2008.

Has anyone else experienced a similar inflection point in their life and can offer their advice or suggestions? I feel like I need to identify what is important to me and make a good analytical judgment, but this is definitely one of the tougher decisions I face.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Re: What is important in life?

i'm at a similar inflection point

very similar in many ways, including break up w/ gf

i have no idea wtf to do

i'll be following this thread with interest

gl
Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 AM

I grew up on the east coast and moved out west not really knowing anyone here last year so I can relate. Now I stay here because I like the weather wayyyyy better, and because I work for myself I can still travel and see friends whenever I want. I wouldn't live your life around others. I don't mean that in a negative way, I mean, I wouldn't stay put in a city you don't necessarily like just because you have friends who will never leave a certain area for the rest of their lives. I'd live whenever you like best, and go visit/travel as much as you can.

As far as the real estate being more expensive there, I would definitely not base living somewhere on that. $350k isn't crazy expensive or anything. Anytime I want something but I don't necessarily know if I'd be better off being cheap about it, I just tell myself to make more money. That's the advice I'd give.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:25 AM

What are your thoughts of living in a place other than Seattle or Cleveland?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts of living in a place other than Seattle or Cleveland?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm open to the idea, I guess, but I see no reason to move somewhere just to move there. I've lived in the LA/SD area and wouldn't mind that, but I have no real desire to move somewhere random.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm at a similar inflection point

very similar in many ways, including break up w/ gf

i have no idea wtf to do

i'll be following this thread with interest

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

same here. i have a few solid choices with what i want to do with my life, and change my opinion on which one I want everyday.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 AM

I don't know if staying or moving is right for you. But I do think that shortly after a break-up it might be not be the best time to make a decision about running all the way back home.

Now without the GF ties you might want to consider staying around there for 4-6 more months at least and THEN if you are still feeling kind of homesick for Cleveland or think it would work better for you then you can act on that.

Breaking a lease with a 30-day notice and all that good stuff isn't hard.

Besides, moving back to Cleveland in Oct means you are going back there just in time for another one of their fabulous winters. Unless you're dying to see a ton of Cavaliers games or something I think this is a decision you might be best putting off for the time-being.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM

kyleb,

Do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend [or a fiancee]? Or are you lock down for life? Or single and ready to mingle?

If your friends are in Seattle instead of Cleveland, would this thread exists?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 AM

you didnt' comment that much on your business situation, but I think it would rank high on the priorities list. If you are happy in your work, the rest of life will follow suit.

I haven't lived in either city, but have visited both and Seattle&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Cleveland (although cleveland rocks, cleveland's what its made of)

What about your political leanings? While any large urban area is going to swing to the left, you will find more pockets of conservatives in the midwest/great lakes than in seattle. As I have aged, I tend to associate more with those who share my world view.