Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Dexter

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The first season matched the plot of the first book very closely

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't actually read the first book, did you? There were some HUGE differences.

In the book (spoilers in white):
<font color="white">
- Deborah learns the truth about Dexter, or at least a good percentage of it.
- Rita is almost non-existent in the book
- Dexter lets the Ice Truck Killer go free.
- LaGuerta dies in the book. About midway through, she makes a move on Dexter, which he soundly rejects. After that, she hates him. She figures out there is something not quite right about him and tails him once Deborah goes missing. The Ice Truck Killer ends up knifing her twice, and she dies.
- Deborah isn't dating the Ice Truck Killer.
- The entire scene in the hotel (where Dexter collapses in the pool of blood) doesn't happen in the book.
- Most of the episode plots (as opposed to the overall story arc) don't happen in the book.
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't read the books and taking a look at my post I didn't intend to infer that I had - poorly worded on my part. I picked up the info from an article that I had read whose author obviously hadn't done his homework either. To be honest I didn't even know the show was based on a series of novels until after I had started watching. Because I was under the impression that the television show mirrored the books I never bothered to pick them up.

I haven't read the spoilers you posted. Are the novels worthwhile?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the spoilers you posted. Are the novels worthwhile?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first 80% of book one was good, but I thought the last 20% was poorly written. I didn't really like the second book at all. The whole thing was pretty much one cliché after another. This was one of those rare instances where I thought the show was much better than the books.

The books are really short though (under 300 pages, smaller than average pages, with big spacing), so even if you don't like them, they're over in just a few hours each.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:38 PM

i read the first book and thought it was mediocre. The TV show is great though, one of the the few things where the show/movie was more satisfying than the book. It follows somewhat closely but there isn't close to enough material in the book to make a show so its quite different, and the end is totally different as someone said. A lot of plot lines are developed in way more detail, and some are just completely different. The first episode however is very close to the book. I have heard that the second season is a totally new story and nothing at all like the book, but we'll see.

As for the acting, the first time I saw Doakes' (black cop) character on TV I thought he was laughably bad. He grew on me though and the character is just too hilarious not to like, the over the top way the actor plays it works in a way because it just makes it funnier.

The Deb character is by far the worst I think. In the book she sounds likable and attractive but in the show she is neither, just a manish, dumb, annoying, mess of a person.

Most of the other characters are very good, like Harry (Dexter's foster-father) I thought was a perfect pick the first time I saw him. Rita is also really good. LaGuerta,the mexican or whatever guy, and the asian nerdy guy are pretty good.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:19 PM

First 2 of new season were good can't wait till it's back!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:26 PM

UGGG, now I'm going to have to blow an entire day tomorrow watching this series on demand.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 PM

gotta love a guy who thinks the best way to make his sobbing girlfriend (from a movie I think?) feel better is to go down on her
Old 08-25-2007, 11:01 AM

I knew I would love this show about 30 seconds in. You can just tell it was going to be special.

Beyond the fact of great writing, for a show to be good it needs a cast that meshes. I think the cast is very good. Most if not all came from other exceptional shows like OZ, 6 feet Under etc. etc.

My favorite secondary character is Masuka, I think he is pretty funny. I think Doakes works fine as a foil for Dexter. They all worked rather well together.

My one bone of contention is his sister, Olive Oil. Yuck, for some reason I think she is as badly cast as Katie Holmes was as Rachel Dawes. For some reason she annoyes me. Oh well if my one nitpick on a show is a solitary character there really is not much to complain about.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:47 PM

I like Doakes because I laugh everytime he cusses. I think he is way over the top, but it doesn't ruin the show at all. I do think the whole following Dexter thing is dumb.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UGGG, now I'm going to have to blow an entire day tomorrow watching this series on demand.

[/ QUOTE ]

F U OOT, I'm on episode 9 and I should be at a friends party right now. God I have an addictive personality.

Really good show btw.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 AM

Damn Dexter is a good series. I can't wait for the second season. They should get Adebisi from Oz too now that he's not in Lost anymore. There's already like two or three Oz guys in the series [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]