Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 07-31-2007, 07:27 AM

Default Re: $200 NL - I Suck at Three Bet Pots?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do we want to do this OOP but not IP?

[/ QUOTE ]

So that he has to pay to put us in a spot like this. This hand plays much easier postflop with position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I still don't get it.

We're paying more money to play in marginal spots when it doesn't change the chances at all of how often we'll be in those marginal spots.

It being a hard position to be in means we want smaller pots surely, not larger? We're paying somebody to get into spots where he can more easily put us to tough decisions?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On the flop, I suggest betting more because I think your fold equity is slightly higher if you raise ~$10 more, it looks stronger, this is what you want when you have air in a big pot.

However, if your read says he will fold for less, by all means bet less.

[/ QUOTE ]

STatements like this put me on tilt.

We don't WANT fold equity. Fold equity!? Vs. what? A Queen?

Ya, right, GL w/that.

You want villain to CALL if you bet this flop. Otherwise, betting is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you c/c flop for 30ish, what is your plan for the rest of the hand assuming no A/K shows. Are you willing to play a big pot unimproved readless here or would you simply give villain's range credit and fold to a bet on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably c/f the turn. Depends on reads, flow, etc. An A or K on the turn doesn't matter much, tbh, because I think AK takes a free card here a lot.

In my experience, the flop checks through here a lot. Then I bet the turn 2/3 pot, and a hand like 99 calls. Then the river goes check/check (which makes me think, by the way, that I am missing some river value in hands like this, but meh, sometimes it goes check-check and he shows QJ).

Against some villains I WILL bet here, but not because I want them to fold. If I bet here, it's purely for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post and great reasoning behind it.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On the flop, I suggest betting more because I think your fold equity is slightly higher if you raise ~$10 more, it looks stronger, this is what you want when you have air in a big pot.

However, if your read says he will fold for less, by all means bet less.

[/ QUOTE ]

STatements like this put me on tilt.

We don't WANT fold equity. Fold equity!? Vs. what? A Queen?

Ya, right, GL w/that.

You want villain to CALL if you bet this flop. Otherwise, betting is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this was another hand when I posted it. For some reason I was thinking we wiffed with AK...

[/ QUOTE ]

With a missed AK or something like 88, I cbet about 2/3 pot and shut down on the Turn UI (or fold to a flop raise). I will also somtimetimes c-bet KK/AA/even QQ here the same.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do we want to do this OOP but not IP?

[/ QUOTE ]

So that he has to pay to put us in a spot like this. This hand plays much easier postflop with position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I still don't get it.

We're paying more money to play in marginal spots when it doesn't change the chances at all of how often we'll be in those marginal spots.

It being a hard position to be in means we want smaller pots surely, not larger? We're paying somebody to get into spots where he can more easily put us to tough decisions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sciolist,

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I'm also starting to wonder if 3 betting a few extra big blinds strictly when you are out of position is actually a good idea as I am currently still adding extra big blinds to my 3 bets out of position. Like you mentioned before raising a few extra big blinds to reduce implied odds for you opponents seems pretty sketchy. As others have said you are adding big blinds because you want your opponent to make a bigger mistake and you are 3 betting for value often times with jacks. This is true, however I think you will get called by a small pocket pair a lot less than you will by a bigger pocket pair as QQ+ is obviously never folding. So the only hands you are frequently value raising (that actually call, this is important) are the AK/AQish hands which do make up a large portion of your villain's range but are obviously not that far behind, and can still put you in some really tough spots post flop with position.

Also a lot of people in this thread have said that w/o any reads this is an easy check/call situation, but if you do bet it should be with the intention of calling a raise. Well if we're adding extra big blinds to our 3 bet out of position "for value" but then decide that flops like this should be check called with the intention of checking a blank turn and trying to get to a showdown as painlessly as possible, then we are losing almost all value to the largest portion of our villain's range that will call our 3 bet when we are actually still value raising. So really, why should we add extra big blinds to our 3 bets out of position if we don't do it in position?

To clarify, I'm not saying I don't agree with a check/call on this flop or only betting when you plan on calling a raise, but is there no merit to bet/folding to protect your hand from AK, AJ, or possibly KJ? Is it easier or more profitable to fold to a turn bet when the turn is a blank after we've bet and been called or check called?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
c/c flop decide what to do after.

if i bet this flop with JJ, im intending never to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I must agree with my prop-betting degen friend.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:29 PM

bump

Maybe this deserves it's own thread, or perhaps it's already been addressed somewhere, but why are people 3 betting more out of position than in position?