Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Shortstack strategy?

Update to this thread. I've been shortstacking at NL25 for 6k hands (mainly to clear a Party bonus) and although it does appear I can play winning poker with this method, I find I'm not thinking as much as before.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 AM

that is because there are a German site, pokerstrategy, that give $150 free and promote the SSS as the way to play...
The "system" of that site, is the most ratholing i ever see, they advice to leave the game when you grow to 25BB (starting from 20BB), so there are a bunch of germans playing without any own money, shortaking + ratholing.
I use to do it, get the money from them, and i go to learn to play, becasue that is not poker..
Old 07-23-2007, 02:20 PM

There's a guy who plays on pacific poker $10 max-buyin NL who multi-tables with a buyinof $2 and pretty much does the standard shove as mentioned above. He's always there (could be a bot) - according to PT over 9000 hands he makes 8BB/HR. I'm sure it works but I'm not sure I would want to spend my time doing that.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:05 PM

Yeah, you can grind the SSS on 12 tables fairly easily and make a consistant income. But it's not a fun way to make money. If you're going to spend hour after hour doing something unfun, then why not just have a regular job?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:11 PM

There are a lot more ways to make money SSing than mentioned in this thread. SSing is all about stealing the blinds. I have been SSIng 100 and 200nl for the last yr or so successfully
Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I normally play poker I like to really concentrate on my games -- no TV on, no people talking to me. Having been LANing with a couple friends in an environment with various distractions for the last few days, I came up with mindless strategy to try.
I brought up 12 2NL FR tables for a buyin of 1 dollar (my normal game right now is 10NL 6-max). I didn't play any hand except for JJ-AA, AK and AQ, and every hand I played I pushed all in preflop. Its seemed profitable, not because its sound, but because people call often enough with hands like KT, 55, or A3.
I tried this at 10NL FR with a 2 dollar buy in, but felt I was getting blinded out faster than I was profiting from all ins. I realized this was because the pots I was winning were only half as big in terms of BBs and the blinds I was posting were twice as big. I could try buying in for 4 dollars, but I have a feeling players will be a lot more selective about calling 4 dollar all-ins than 1 dollar all-ins.
Any thoughts/advice? I'd love to hear a better shortstack system, especially one that will work at higher levels. I know Ed Miller describes one in GSOHE, but I have not read this book. This isn't the way I intend to play the game normally, nor do I find it anywhere near as enjoyable as typical play, however there are times when I feel I'd like to just plug away mindlessly for awhile whether its because I'm mentally drained or am in a distracting environment.
I suppose a better alternative might just be to play a few FR tables. I play FR tight anyway and don't need near as much concentration as 6-max..

[/ QUOTE ]

Die plz.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:16 PM

and also everyone else that's giving ss strat and advice.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot more ways to make money SSing than mentioned in this thread. SSing is all about stealing the blinds. I have been SSIng 100 and 200nl for the last yr or so successfully

[/ QUOTE ]

Sssshhhhh. Quite!

Don't listen to this guy. Short stacking only works at 25NL and below. No reason to try it at the stakes I play. No reason at all.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Die plz.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and also everyone else that's giving ss strat and advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

It's not so hard for a guy playing poker to play around a short stacker playing shove. You just deny them any of your action unless you have a super-premium hand, or it's already a multi-way hand pre-flop and the other guy has a deep stack.

Also, a lot of short stackers play badly. They play hit-to-win, and won't pull the trigger without top pair on the flop. These guys usually go broke prety quickly.

But when you get two or even three of these guys at your table, then it's time to find a differant table.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Slight adjustments:

Pre-flop raise 4x-6x BB

Shove on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

shove flop of A/K/8 with JJ or QQ??