Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Pretty simple Venetian 1k hand.

Blinds 50/100 I have about 9-9300 to start the hand.

Two weak players limp in EP/MP and I raise to 550 with QKo from the CO.

The button flat calls and the other two fold. I feel like he is one of those guys who wants to win every pot. He was definitely dressed like it. So far he had really only shown down the goods as far as I can remember but he was aggressive enough preflop and was wearing the type of clothes you expect this player to wear.

Flop Jx3 (x may be 5 or 6) all spades. I have the K spades.

I decided to check and act based on what he bet. He bet about full pot, 1200 or so. At this point I have like 8400 left. I have one red 5k chip and various change. I toss the various change in as a check raise.

I figured this was a whole lot better than making it 3600 or whatever. The 1 red chip makes it incredibly obvious that I'm committed.

My image isn't anything special. I haven't shown down a hand yet and I've played a fair amount of pots. In one hand a weak player folded to my river value bet and on another I was running a semi-bluff in an unraised pot and the board double-paired on the river. Villain led into me and I folded saying I had a straight. Obviously I didn't have the straight but my image was good so he probably believed me.

Weeeee live poker!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Pretty simple Venetian 1k hand.

looks good.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:41 AM

I like the logic, curious how this worked b/c I almost always read the leaving one big chip behind as a bet of weakness. That said, if weak players read this as strength, I need to incorporate this play...
Old 06-09-2007, 12:47 AM

a theory of mine is that the type of player you describe (one that tries to win every pot) never ever folds on monotone boards
Old 06-09-2007, 12:52 AM

I like it. I'd probably just straight up shove, but it's basically the same thing.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a theory of mine is that the type of player you describe (one that tries to win every pot) never ever folds on monotone boards

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't fold red 77 to my c/r?

And if you think this is the case, what should my line be?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't fold red 77 to my c/r?

And if you think this is the case, what should my line be?

[/ QUOTE ]

that was my idiotic way of saying that this type of player loves making moves on this kind of flop with or without FE, and will probably put you on a move, he's folding some stuff of course but I think he gets in there with a lot of hands that caught even a small piece of the board. That said, I don't really know what to do here, tough spot.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:38 AM

i dont think i like the c/r.. i think i either bet-fold to a raise (and hope to hit spade/k/q on the turn if he calls) or check-fold. c/r might fold out red 77, but he's going to get it in with the As, pairs and a spade, the nuts, sets.. i dunno just doesnt seem like a great spot to mess with this guy.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think i like the c/r.. i think i either bet-fold to a raise (and hope to hit spade/k/q on the turn if he calls) or check-fold. c/r might fold out red 77, but he's going to get it in with the As, pairs and a spade, the nuts, sets.. i dunno just doesnt seem like a great spot to mess with this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his calling range on the button is wider than what you think it is.

Let me know what you think his range is.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:25 AM

any pair, suited broadway cards, a bunch of suited aces, random suited connectors, maybe add in 1-2 gappers if he's that loose?

A c/r builds the pot a lot, and if his range is that wide pf, even if he's betting a ton of his range, a lot of his range will connect with the flop. I feel like it puts him in an easy spot to play well against us. Betting the flop wins the pot vs a lot of the same hands, granted you don't get that flop bet out of them, but it should make it harder for him to get his money in good.. i think?