Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Dog advice

Heres some advice from a professional dog trainer.

First issue isn't a real concern. Dogs sleep way more than we do. Your hours of sleeping won't negativly affect your dog in any way.

Second issues isn't a problem either. Make sure Jaeger is getting his exercise and walks, but he should be fine in your room with you. Have some toys and things in there for him, maybe even a water dish, whatever.

With the third issue, we can control that from a behvaior stand point. Right now Jaeger has a conditioned response to your emotional outburst. You, like many people, are way to concerned with what caused the response. People always think that their rescue dog was abused in some way. The thing is, dogs don't have emotional hang ups like we do. Its not that significant to Jaeger if he was abused, although I doubt he was. Jaeger doesn't dwell on his past, and think about what happened to him like a human would. His current repsonse sounds like someone got angry with him when working on a sit stay. So, his owner gets angry, and he believes the correct response is to go sit on the other side of the room and stay. So, what we need to do is create a new conditioned reponse to you getting upset, and turn it into a positive experience. Keep some dog chews or toys on your desk with you, and when you get upset, turn around and engage Jaeger in a quick play session with a toy, or toss a dog chew or something to him. This will turn you being agitated into a positive experience for him.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to be too comforting, because I don't want to reward the reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post from LockForward. I also think your above idea should be corrected and dogs are so great at making things right.

I actually taught my dog the basics of poker.

Honest, we'd play heads up and he'd soon realize that when I lost I'd get (pretend) angry. That loosened him up to relax when I played online.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM

OP-

You gotta be kidding me...

Being a pro poker player, or any other stay-at-home job for that matter, is the perfect occupation to have if you want to own a highly dependent pet. I would give anything to have a dog, but can't. Be thankful you have such a great dog and the type of lifestyle necessary for owning it.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 AM

Might consider getting a second dog to give him a companion. Not sure how much he socializes with other dogs but IMO if not he needs to if he's not socializing with other dogs. Like others said dogs are adaptable. Dogs definitely pick up on your moods, energy, etc. but they move on easily as well.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 AM

sounds like this dog has it pretty great. i wouldn't worry at all.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Great advice Lock. I'll work on that idea.

In response to the "lol at this thread being a pro poker player is great for a dog" replies:

Sure, but what's wrong with working on its downsides to make his life better?

I shouldn't have said "I feel like there's a really good chance my lifestyle is bad for dogs." Obviously it isn't. I just meant there are some aspects of it that are bad, and I'd like to work around those as best I can. But you guys are right, I should remember that he has it pretty good.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 AM

you put more thought into this dog than some people put into their kids.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 PM

You could get another dog to keep your current one company. In the long run, two dogs isn't much more work than one, and you'd feel alot better about shutting yourself in your room for 8 hrs/day.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM

The dog will adjust to your schedule why not just let him hang with you when you play he looks like a good doggie I doubt he'd bother you much and just wants to keep you company.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww. What a sweetheart!

I had very similar problems when I was watching my friend's dog for a few months. The difference being she's a small, very very sensitive dog who were pretty sure was abused by a male early in life. It took her a long time of coming over to my friends house before she wasn't scared of me when I was standing. When I was sitting she would come over and seemed ok. My guess is some dude kicked her around.

Anyway she would get so upset when I got mad at the computer. And I really don't handle myself well when I run bad. In one sense it was a good thing because having her around kept me in check somewhat. But any tiny outburst on my part would put her into super-needy anxiety mode. I felt so guilty - and annoyed at the cards - and annoyed at her for acting so needy - and guiltier still for being annoyed at her. It wasn't good.

But I think you can turn these things into a big positive. Try to get out for one or two breaks during your 8 hour sessions and go for a walk. Good for you, good for him, probably good for your game. And the more you try to control your emotions for his sake, the more you get control in general. Fake it til you make it strategy. Probably also really good for your game.

You're a good person for taking in the dog and for caring so much about his well being. He's really lucky to have someone like you.

Edit: somehow now I'm all worked up thinking about the conditions those dogs were found it at Michael Vick's compound, compared to this dog's life.