Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 09:19 AM

Default What makes his game \"special\"?

PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING HERE

Yes, I recognize that Chris's game is better than probably 99.9% of all the poker players out there. HOWEVER, why is this the case? I mean, when I look at this hand history I see almost no difference to how a typical TAG would play at even the lower levels.

Which decisions in this SnG would you guys say illustrates that increadible level of play that only a top pro could do?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: What makes his game \"special\"?

I'm with nightly. Any personal hand history article sounds like an ego trip. Write an article analyzing the play of a FT of a major event already shown on TV.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING HERE

Yes, I recognize that Chris's game is better than probably 99.9% of all the poker players out there. HOWEVER, why is this the case? I mean, when I look at this hand history I see almost no difference to how a typical TAG would play at even the lower levels.

Which decisions in this SnG would you guys say illustrates that increadible level of play that only a top pro could do?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of this article is to explain many concepts that apply to STT play that do not apply to standard ring game play (or even to MTT play). Using labels like TAG or LAG is not really appropriate to STTs. Sometimes, an STT player must be TAG, sometimes LAG, sometimes even TIP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (tight passive). All of these situations can arise in a single tournament. For example, in Hand 3 he folds 99 to a c-bet with just one overcard on the flop. In certain cash games, this might be considered way too passive. However, a good STT player will autofold this in the early game. Later (hand 77), he is open shoving K4o from the SB which of course would be maniacal in a deep stacked situation. Given these two hands from the same player, how can you apply labels like TAG or LAG?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with nightly. Any personal hand history article sounds like an ego trip. Write an article analyzing the play of a FT of a major event already shown on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dumb. Chip's article is an excellent learning tool for anyone interested in STTs. In fact, I thought it was so excellent I had nothing to say about it.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, a lot of the stuff that goes on at a FT of a major live event is often at a much lower level that z32's play in this STT.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, a lot of the stuff that goes on at a FT of a major live event is often at a much lower level that z32's play in this STT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lower level? I was thinking Higher level. FT of major tournaments are filled with histories between players on the bubbles. A lot of play at FT's is very read dependent and involves 3rd and 4th level thinking as described in ToP.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any personal hand history article sounds like an ego trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unfair to say or suggest the article was written as an ego trip. I recruited posters to write this specific type of article for the Magazine.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:02 PM

That was not what I was saying AT ALL.

I don't think it was an ego trip. I'm just trying to identify what separates a top pro's SnG play from someone who read HoH and has the discipline to follow it.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:08 AM

Hi nightlyraver,

You write:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure I understand your criticism. If you believe Chip's playing ability places him in the top 0.1% of SNG players, then wouldn't that imply he is better than a run-of-the-mill TAG? The value of this article is simply being able to see the thought process behind a really good SNG player's decisions.

If there are any hands/comments you specifically disagree with, please mention them. That way we can discuss them and possibly all learn something. No disrespect, I just think your criticism needs some refinement.

Best Regards,
Collin
Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was not what I was saying AT ALL.

I don't think it was an ego trip. I'm just trying to identify what separates a top pro's SnG play from someone who read HoH and has the discipline to follow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Proper Pushbotting and strong knowledge of ICM is key for sngs, HoH wont teach you to be a good sng player.