Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 12:04 AM

Default ACers; personal preferences

I'm assuming that most libertarians and ACers have personal preferences which are not always socially liberal and fiscally laissez faire. For example, it's possible to be personally opposed to abortion, but to hold the belief that it's a private decision. It's possible to think drugs are bad, but to think everyone has the right to use them anyways. And it's possible to favor high redistribution of income, but to think that a state (or anyone) is not entitled to force it.

So (with all the talk about AC lately), it dawned on me that I was curious what personal ideologies various ACers might hold (i.e. what their political ideologies might be if they thought the state was legitimate). I'm basically just curious, because I think some of the ACers on here are interesting, but all we ever really hear from them is their AC positions, which might not say much about what they actually value. I figure ACers (personally) range anywhere from devout hippies to staunch social conservatives, and I figure you all have different views on sharing your money with the less privileged and whatnot. But obviously you never talk about that, because your belief that these things are all personal decisions makes your personal beliefs irrelevant to your arguments.

I don't know if this thread will really work, because talking about your personal preferences isn't something y'all probably care much about doing. But hopefully I've phrased my question well enough to give it a shot. It could be interesting.

So to any ACers who want to answer: Do/did you smoke pot? Do you own guns? If you had an accidental pregnancy, would you be OK with abortion? Do you give a lot to charity? If your son was gay, how would you feel about that?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: ACers; personal preferences

PONIES FOR ALL!!

J/K [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I highly doubt that you're going to find many ACists who are social conservatives [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I happen to think most recreational drug use is pretty dumb and often self-destructive but I'd obviously never want to force anyone not to take them.

I really can't think of anything that I'd like the state to handle because I honestly believe the state, in total, always makes the situation worse. Market inefficiencies are almost always brought about in the first place by actions of the state.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really can't think of anything that I'd like the state to handle because I honestly believe the state, in total, always makes the situation worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really mean what would you want the state to handle. More... like, how would you raise your kids? If we did live in AC land, would your neighbors think of you as "the conservative guy" or "the crazy hippy"?

Most people just associate extreme libertarians as thinking drugs are good, etc. Even though really the only stance necessary is that you don't want the state handling it. Whether you personally think drug use is a good thing is a separate issue.

Maybe my question is still not clear, and maybe it was a bad one. But I guess I was more or less wondering what kind of people y'all are.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I highly doubt that you're going to find many ACists who are social conservatives [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and ya, I wouldn't think we'd be likely to have many on here. But you would agree, right, that it's possible to think drugs are bad, that guns are unsafe, that gay marriage is a bad thing, etc., but still to hold the overriding view that the state should not handle any of it (so you'd still be an ACist).
Old 04-30-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I found it surprising how many ACists are anti-abortion. No need to discuss the merits here, but just to say I was surprised.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So to any ACers who want to answer: Do/did you smoke pot? Do you own guns? If you had an accidental pregnancy, would you be OK with abortion? Do you give a lot to charity? If your son was gay, how would you feel about that?

[/ QUOTE ]
1) Don't smoke pot or do any drugs. Don't drink much either.
2) Family owns some guns. Will likely own some in the future.
3) I am absolutely not ok with abortion.
4) I don't have much to give right now (college student), but I give some. I also support The Hunger Site, which is free.
5) I would not be very happy, but I'd still love him.

You could probably call me socially conservative on quite a few issues, but I can't stand most of the outspoken social "conservatives" (Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc).
Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 AM

Oops, I somehow skimmed the last line and didn't see the questions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I take anything for a legitimate medical reason eg advil for pain, coffee for tiredness etc. I haven't taken anything that's currently illegal but I would take pot if there was a legitimate reason to take it.

2. I own a shotgun but it lives at my parents place. When I have my own place I'll bring it over and take up trap shooting again.

3. I think abortion should be legal but I'd never want to do it.

4. Not enough cash yet but I would if I found a good cause. I'll give to libertarian political campaigns too in a spread-the-word effort.

5. No issue at all. I'd be a little sad for him because I know how hard it can be, but obviously no problem at all.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:54 AM

I'm not a hardcore ACist yet, but I'm getting there.

Do/did you smoke pot? yeah. I view pot as less risky and healthier than smoking/alcohol (and also more fun) though. I used to have a really bad stigma associated with pot, but after doing some research I was surprised that it was illegal. I don't think I'd try much harder drugs than pot, I prefer to be addicted to as little things as possible (never been addicted to pot...not sure you can be).

Do you own guns? I will probably within 2 years

If you had an accidental pregnancy, would you be OK with abortion? yeah, although I'm not sure I'd ultimately make that decision.

Do you give a lot to charity? no, I plan to not donate much to charities unless I find something really important. I haven't been convinced of any charities in my lifetime, although I have not done much research.

If your son was gay, how would you feel about that? I'd rather not b/c I'm somewhat awkward around gay people (not much experience), so I'm not sure I could be a good father to him, but maybe if I matured more (I'm 23 now) it might be fine.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 AM

I enjoy smoking weed but I don't do it often because it costs money and I'm cheap. That and I'm more of a beer guy. In the past I've bought a couple onces at a time, sold most of them to friends at parties and smoked some of the profits. This is actually very easy to do when your in your teens or early 20s.

Other then doing coke once and oxycodon once I haven't done any other drugs then weed and alcohol, and while I don't plan to I'm not entirely closed to the possibly of it. Seeing my friend have to go through rehab sure does hurt that possibility though.

I don't own any guns but it's likely I will in the future, if for nothing else but for hunting which I moderately enjoy.

In this stage of my life (19) If I got someone pregnent I'd do my best to convince the baby moma to abort it, and although obviously no one knows for sure, I don't think I'd feel bad about it. I'm only going to be young once, I don't feel like spending them raising a kid just cause a condom broke.

Poor college kid, so very little donated to charity. Honestly I could see myself giving money to charity when I'm in a better position in my life though. In fact I could see myself starting some type of libertarian foundation in the future if I had the chance.

I would love my son no matter what his social orientation was but I'd obviously prefer he be straight if for nothing else but to avoid the social stigma attached to it.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 AM

I'm an anarchist. Not sure yet if I'm anarchocapitalist or something else. Definitely leaning a lot in that direction.

I believe both pot and psychedelics are safe and even extremely beneficial if used intelligently and by the right people. They both have tremendous power for mental deconditioning and creativity, though this power can be hard to handle. I think that's a big part of why these drugs are illegal... they can get you thinking a lot more freely than the powers that be want you to be thinking.

If I'm a capitalist, it's only because there's no better way that's voluntary. I would encourage maximum redistribution of wealth, as long as it's voluntary, even to the point of abolishing private property

That said, I'm not much for charity. Partly because I'm very hypocritical, but also because I'd rather keep my money and use it to make a difference in my own way, even if that happens in the distant future, than trust it to someone else whose priorities/abilities I don't know much about.

I'm very loosely theistic, but I think morality is socially constructed, so there's no right or wrong, only wise decisions and ignorant decisions.

I think abortion is fine, because there's nothing inherently bad about death in the way I view metaphysics. Certainly something to avoid though if at all possible, because of pain it can cause to those involved.

If I ever have kids, I'd welcome a gay son. Hopefully by the time I'm at that stage of life it'll be a more accepting world. I don't even see a need for the division. To me it's like distinguishing between people based on their favorite color or something. Who cares?

Edit: forgot guns. I don't like them, and I'd like to live in a world without them, but since we don't, I'm all for gun rights.