Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 04-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Default To Catch a Predator

I just recently started watching the Dateline "To Catch a Predator" shows. I'm curious what you guys think of it. I guess I mean from an ethical standpoint.

Something about it feels dirty to me. I don't really mind the idea of a sting, in theory. Protecting children from actual predators is a pretty good thing I guess. But I can't help but feel like mixing an operation like this with a TV show (which is obviously driven by ratings) is a horrible, horrible idea.

Some of the people caught have past records and are obviously scum bags, so I'm not sympathetic to them. But some of the people seem quasi-respectable and insist that they just had a lapse of judgment. And given that they're seeing a really attractive 19-21 year old actor or actress on the webcam, and chatting with decoys who know exactly what buttons to press, I tend to believe them. If you try really hard to get someone to do something, sometimes you'll succeed. I'd imagine that going after the rabbi or the successful cancer doctor makes for a better TV show than settling for the same cast of degenerates.

I'm not saying that society shouldn't still see these people as some sort of a problem. Obviously it's natural to conclude that since they showed up at the house they're more likely to endanger a child than the average person. But being exposed on national television as a "child predator" and being charged with a felony seems really unfair. Basically I think you have to be real careful with your methods when you conduct a sting operation like this, and I think making a TV show out of it makes that basically impossible. I'm curious what you guys think.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: To Catch a Predator

I agree that calling these guys "predators" is often a bit of a stretch. First of all, the decoys often pretend to be 13 or 14, which is obviously young, but still within the age of sexual maturity. And often the decoys say highly suggestive stuff in the chat boxes in order to entice the guys.

Older men should not be going after 13-14 year old girls, but almost all the guys on the show are clearly not luring otherwise unsuspecting girls into sex.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:10 PM

They are all huge scumbags, get real. If they weren't going to meet up with the sting, it would have been an actual 12 year old.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:12 PM

Every single guy says "this is my first time" or "I messed up, it won't happen again." Do you actually believe that crap?

One guy said that it was his first time and won't happen again, yet Chris Hansen met up with him again the NEXT DAY.

They are all pieces of trash.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:19 PM

I haven't seen the show. Do they show he process of getting the guys to the house, or do they just show them in the house result, of them being there with chris hansen.
Also OP says they use some 21 year-olds that they set up as bait? Isn't that legit? If I were a 40, I'd bang a twenty one year old? Why the [censored] not, If she consented?
Old 04-21-2007, 06:20 PM

I don't mind if they do the sting, but I think its ridiculous that they try to pass it off as journalism.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:21 PM

I liked watching the first couple episodes but now I am extremely tired of it. It seems like they are longer creative enough to put on a show without using this theme. If I wanted to watch a bunch of trash every week I would be watching "Cops" which does a better job.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:24 PM

The way it works is that someone at perverted-justice.com sets up a yahoo profile with information saying they are underage, and then they wait for someone to initiate contact with them.

It is made very clear how old the "child" is supposed to be - usually 12-15.

Most of the time the predator initiates sex talks, but sometimes it's the "decoy." Some people claim this is entrapment, but there are many ways in which they prove it's not. First, the predator has to drive to a location, which gives them time to think about the decision. Second, they tell them to bring certain items - be it food, drinks, condoms, flowers, etc in the same chat in which they talk about sex and the meet up. This proves intent to have sex.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, the decoys often pretend to be 13 or 14, which is obviously young, but still within the age of sexual maturity.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not pedophilia, but it is predatory.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen the show. Do they show he process of getting the guys to the house, or do they just show them in the house result, of them being there with chris hansen.
Also OP says they use some 21 year-olds that they set up as bait? Isn't that legit? If I were a 40, I'd bang a twenty one year old? Why the [censored] not, If she consented?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hansen has a copy of the chat log where they tell the predator that they are a 12 year old. The predator comes to the house where he thinks the 12 yr old from the internet is and then walks in, then Chris Hansen confronts them (sometimes the dudes gets naked, it's gross). The only time a 21 year old is used is if they have to talk on the phone, and the 21 year old just has a young sounding voice.

It is not legal to solicit sexual acts from a minor over the internet, whether or not the person on the other end is actually a minro does not matter, the intent to do so is still there, thus it is a crime.