Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: When should child support end?

[ QUOTE ]

I have an Aunt in her late 60s in mediocre health (in other words, not really able to work), and her 72 year old husband just left her out of the blue for a woman 28 years his junior. Do you really think it's right that my Aunt, who has been nothing but a loving and faithful partner, should get completely screwed just because this douche bag is having a mid-life crisis at age 72?

He has every right to leave the marriage, but there's no way I agree with you that he shouldn't be obligated to take care of my aunt financially after 30-odd years of marriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should he be obligated to take care of her now when her body is failing? Only if he wants to. Survival of the fittest, and your aunt is not fit enough to survive at this point. Too bad.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have an Aunt in her late 60s in mediocre health (in other words, not really able to work), and her 72 year old husband just left her out of the blue for a woman 28 years his junior. Do you really think it's right that my Aunt, who has been nothing but a loving and faithful partner, should get completely screwed just because this douche bag is having a mid-life crisis at age 72?

He has every right to leave the marriage, but there's no way I agree with you that he shouldn't be obligated to take care of my aunt financially after 30-odd years of marriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should he be obligated to take care of her now when her body is failing? Only if he wants to. Survival of the fittest, and your aunt is not fit enough to survive at this point. Too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

He should have never married her in the first place, then.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont undertand the point of alimony. Assume kids arent part of the equation, why should one party recieve any of the other parties money? because its a partnership? well obviously the partnership probabyl was ineffective so how can you justify that it is the reason there was money made?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know, I just think that this si legistlating morality. Is it the right thing to do, yes, should the government make him do it? I personally dont believe so.

Edit: I know this is going to be harsh, but imo, in a situation like that, why should anyone get anything after the partnership has split up?? they should divide the assets tehy accumulated together evenly, and but he has already supported her for 30 years, why should have to after they break up?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He should have never married her in the first place, then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's perfectly logistical to know you will care about someone enough 30 years from the point of marriage that you will want to take care of them as their body breaks down.

Yes, that's the spirit of the ceremony, but use some common sense: it's not always happening, nor should one expect it to. Now, maybe you can make an argument that he should break up the marriage as soon as he WOULDN'T care for her in a time of need; I would agree with you there.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:05 PM

Marriage is like a contract. If you don't want to continue supporting your spouse if its disolved get a pre-nup.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont undertand the point of alimony. Assume kids arent part of the equation, why should one party recieve any of the other parties money? because its a partnership? well obviously the partnership probabyl was ineffective so how can you justify that it is the reason there was money made?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know, I just think that this si legistlating morality. Is it the right thing to do, yes, should the government make him do it? I personally dont believe so.

Edit: I know this is going to be harsh, but imo, in a situation like that, why should anyone get anything after the partnership has split up?? they should divide the assets tehy accumulated together evenly, and but he has already supported her for 30 years, why should have to after they break up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, forgive me for being old fashioned, but (1) he did take a vow, and (2) she's completely fukked without his support after the divorce. If you're going to break a vow, you have to pay the price.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty heartless, but more importantly he's obligated to by law.

Do vows mean nothing?
Old 04-06-2007, 07:42 PM

My father had to pay until my 18th birthday. He even paid after she married again (and got divorced again after 5 years).
Old 04-06-2007, 08:25 PM

I hate that you brought up your aunt, because Im not making a direct attack on her, but imo, anyone who cant survive on their own after a divorce, did it to themselves by using marriage as a crutch. 50 something % of all marriages end in divorce, if you are planning ahead, I cant have much sympathy.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate that you brought up your aunt, because Im not making a direct attack on her, but imo, anyone who cant survive on their own after a divorce, did it to themselves by using marriage as a crutch. 50 something % of all marriages end in divorce, if you are planning ahead, I cant have much sympathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a spouse who stays home and takes care of the kids/home so the other one can work?