Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 12:07 AM

Default When to lay down big hand OOP?

The ability to lay down a big hand is my #1 biggest leak. I know this because I've lost twice the GNP of Zimbabwe on big hands.

Villian: (11/5/3.3) Very surprised if he's NOT a poster here. Very solid player. I try to avoid him because he is better than me, but if I have to play with him, I keep him on my left. (except on this table).

Third Level: Very surprised if he doesn't respect me as well. He has to have an idea about my range especially being so far OOP.

The Problem: I don't know when it's time to lay down a hand.

The Solution: This Forum

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP2 ($51.70)
MP3 ($61)
CO ($71.75)
Button ($12.50)
Hero ($49.50)
BB ($58.70)
UTG ($79.90)
UTG+1 ($23.10)
MP1 ($26.55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $3.50.

Flop: ($11.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $66.25</font>, Hero.....WTF? WTF? WTF? Don't go broke with a pair. You have him crushed. Don't go broke with a pair. You have him crushed. Don't go........

Onaflag..........
Old 01-19-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: When to lay down big hand OOP?

We lose to AK/KK/JJ/22 - There's nothing to semi-bluff here and someone with those stats is tossing KJ to your reraise I think (unless he's tight and doesnt understand reverse implied odds)

Seriously, what hand would he be doing this with that we beat? If he's got some reason to believe that you can lay down one pair here and is exploiting it, I suppose you'll find out eventually. That is very rare at this level, mostly b/c nobody lays down AA or AK here.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:46 AM

How do we lose to AK here? I think that is his most likely holding given his stats. No way he calls a reraise with KJ even given the odds you gave him (reraise to $6.50 or $7 next time). I could see JJ here also, but have trouble seeing KK. These types will 4 bet KK here most of the time. Also, if he has KK then he's losing value from a shove IMO. That leaves you with a 2 outer with AA or drawing to perfect perfect with any other hand. I don't think a villian like this is going to push you off a hand, or bluff opportunity with top set. These types wait all day for these hands, they are going to get value for them (which he can easily get it in by the river). I say call in most cases, but I could find a fold if you've seen him shove second set here before. As for 2 2, this villian is not likely to raise this preflop, I'm not worried about being shown 2 2 more than 1% of the time. My read says villian has AK here more times than not.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:20 AM

Based on his stats and your read, let it go. Especially if he knows you tend to call down too much (ie your biggest leak).

How often do you rr pf and what might villain think your range is here?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:16 AM

You gotta mke it like 6.5 or 7 preflop.

As played I like a flop fold.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ this also. Plus you are out of position. I know you want action, but this size bet, kinda invites him to try, and flop a set as well. If I were going to be behind him on the flop, and I thought he was a weak player, than I would consider only tripling the size of his raise to 6.00, but that wasn't the case here.

On the flop, the player you describe doesn't seem the type to be out of line here. AK is the only hand that you beat here that he may have, but I think folding is good. Tough, but good.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:56 PM

Whoops - Brain = Off

AK is the only reasonable hand we beat. He may be the tight type that stacks off when he his his hand, because while tight-he still plays only his cards.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As played I like a flop fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
agree.

That's a real saucy raise, and overbets always makes me wonder. Anything that might make him tilty up to this point? If so, I maybe call if I detect poor temper, otherwise, definitely fold.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:30 PM

I think you should have reraised a tad more. but i think that you can call here. if hes as good as you say he is he shouldnt play a hand that you beat this way. plus its only 50 bucks. i bet youll see kq and ak alot. followed by qt. and i know the regulars at 50 nl on stars and none of them are that good. the 100nl players i am now stomping arent much better. i could find a call.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:32 PM

another thing to mention is that any good 50 nl player will be in the 100 game in less than like uhhh a week or two.