Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Help me understand - PLO8 vs. NLO8

Okay, in PLO8 you can bet the size of the pot. In NLO8 you can bet your whole stack. That part I get. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It seems to me that in either game you're putting your whole stack at risk much of the time.

I'm trying to get an idea about the less than obvious differences in the two games that I must not be seeing. Help me to understand why a player might prefer one over the other.

Thanks.

Onaflag.........
Old 11-08-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Help me understand - PLO8 vs. NLO8

in NL08 u can push ur AAxx. thats about it. go ahead and do it, it ups ur variance a lil bit, but urll b amazed at what u get called by (237Kr? quat?)

btw...which site are u talkin about? the games play much differently between sites (im talkin more about NL08, but even PLO8 a lil bit)
Old 11-08-2006, 04:20 PM

in NLo8 u can make ppl make bad decisions on the flop instead of only being able to bet pot where its almost always correct 4 ppl to call with ur draw. And thats just the opposite when u r drawing.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which site are u talkin about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm playing on Stars. $50 NLO8 mostly with some $25 mixed in. I'm going to stay at these low levels for a while until I figure out if the money I'm making is blind nut-peddling luck or if/when I come to the conclusion that I'm making the right decisions. I'm a relative noob at O8 although I have read the books and lurked this forum for a while.

I understand that PL games offer more pot control. I've never played PL before so don't know how this plays out in reality.

I've brought my NLHE SNG skills over to NLO8 and make similar post flop bets. The amount of preflop limping in these games suits my personality just fine. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

There have been a couple times in NLO8 where some idiot will push preflop and luckily I'll be sitting on A235s or something premium and I'll instacall. That can't happen in PL.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm concentrating on the right game or if I should be learning PL instead. I've started playing B&M LO8 but I can't stand the grind of limit online, plus the games are nowhere near as loose at the levels where it'd be worth my time online. Those games are for the gergeries, not me. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Onaflag...........
Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 PM

Position is more important in pot limit. Basically, the disadvantage of being first to act is magnified in pot limit because choosing to bet gives your opponent greater betting options than he had before, where in no-limit of course he already had the option of pushing all-in regardless of whether you bet or not.

IMO there is also a range of drawing hands that play differently in pot limit than in no limit. In particular there are some hands where you have a backdoor low draw combined with some outs to the high (like if you are playing AsJs3x4x, flop is KsQs2, opponent has KQTT or the like). In NL you can jam here since you're slightly ahead overall, but in pot limit it's less clear that betting the flop is profitable because you are feeding a situation where you are slightly more likely than your opponent to be forced to dump your cards on the turn. So in general I would say there is a set of marginal drawing hands that are less bettable in PLO8 than they are in no limit.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 PM

some idiot will push preflop and luckily I'll be sitting on A235s or something premium

For the most part I wouldn't call an all-in bet with this hand (unless someone else has already called so that you have three stacks in the pot). Against decent players you are too likely to be up against AA2x, A2KK, A2QQ, or even something kind of junky like AAT7 unsuited, all of which you are a significant underdog to. Earlier today I quartered someone when they took their A23Q up against my A2KK all-in preflop, so I've seen it happen :-)
Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 AM

http://www.pokerhand.org/?601959

this is why u play NLo8. i mean...why u wud if u cud stay ahead once. just once. i swear to [censored] God, if i cud one time not have some idiot box catch on me...i might b able to sustain a [censored] 16BB/100 WR, instead of this stupid [censored] 6BB/100 crap. jesus i hate FTP right now
Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 AM

Dude, you wanna make money? Sit at my tables on Stars. I just called a big bet on the end w/ ATTx in the hole and ATxxx on board thinking I had second full house. It's like the feeling when you are about to lock your keys in your car but can't stop your motion. As I was clicking and smiling, I realized I was an idiot. Dammit! How embarrassing.

Okay, this is turning into a BBV/Idiot thread and we're gonna get in trouble. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Onaflag...........
Old 11-09-2006, 03:11 AM

ehh [censored] it. nothing wrong venting as long as the full forum is packed with it. while im bitchin (and trust me, i havnt been this heated ina long time over poker), fu.ck FTP. seriously...how many times can they bail out the same mother [censored]? or better yet, flop him quads in a tourny, and let him slowroll me. christ i hope that [censored] gets hit by a bus. I [censored] HATE POKER TONIGHT
Old 11-09-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm just wondering if I'm concentrating on the right game or if I should be learning PL instead.

[/ QUOTE ] It depends. If you want short run profit and you like NL more, then go for it. If you want good table selection at higher stakes once you've built your bankroll, then NL won't offer you much. It shouldn't be too hard to transfer your skills from NL to PL though.