Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 AM

Default Working Up To 1RM @ Bench and failing

So I'm doing a 1RM sort-of workout for the next 5 weeks with bench/squats/deadlift. Squats and deadlifts have been fine since I work up from 50%x5 to 80%x1 but end with two sets of 5 at 65%. I take 2-4 minutes inbetween each set and it's no biggie, I feel fairly fresh until the last set. But bench press has been different. My 1RM is 250 and I've had a lot of trouble doing any more than 1 rep past 75% and this week the workout ended at 5 reps on 80%. I'm taking the same amount of time and it's the first thing I do before anything else (besides warming up/stretching). Obv. the risk of failing during a bench set is far worse than anything else safety-wise, but should I be concerned that I'm having a tough time pushing it at the end? Anyone with experience please chime in, I've mostly done circuits and 3x10s or 4x6s so this is new stuff for me.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Working Up To 1RM @ Bench and failing

i don't really know much about testing 1rms since i've never really cared about this before, but before making a real attempt you should prob take a week off of that exercise...make sure you have a spotter and they should assist with getting the bar off the rack so that you don't expend much energy doing that...

check out tony gentilcore's 90%/singles article on t-nation for more info about incorporating heavy singles into your routine...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 AM

What does your current routine look like? Whats your goal? Whats your diet look like?

Make sure to always have a spotter while going for a max single and always warm up correctly. Post here what your warm up sets look like as well as the the stuff from above.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:25 PM

Burdz, are you doing the Men's Fitness bench workout? I don't have it in front of me, but your workout looks familiar. I just finished week 5.