Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: WCOOP main middle set scary board facing CRAI on turn

With one card to the straight, take the free card. Although, you will be faced with a tough decision if he leads out on the river without a club hitting.

What kind of bet can a set call on the river? Tough one...
Old 10-01-2007, 04:46 AM

MLG - were you to my left? You were torturing me and I had a sneaky suspicion that it was you. Funny.

Devo
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM

yup that was me. of all the times i reraised you one of them I had aa.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 PM

Yup. Turn check for sure. Not only do we not lose all our chips to a straight, but we still get their chips when we hit, and we also get more chips from a bluff. Overpairs probably fold to our turn bet anyway, so we really don't lose any value at all. There's almost zero upside to betting this turn.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 PM

Given the situation, I call. There are many hands that he could have in this situation. JT, JTs, AJs, AQs. I don't see how we can fold this turn. Do you think he called the flop bet with 99? Maybe he flopped a straight, maybe he had J9, maybe Q9 and was chasing a gutshot (unlikely). Still there are a lot of hands that would c/rai and the bettor might think his hand is good.

I think you could be beaten, but you could also be way ahead.

A lot of other players stated that checking the turn is a better Idea, which I would say has some merit, but I still probably get it in on the turn. We are only behind to a made straight. It is likely that he flopped it or we are ahead. What 9 did he call your flop bet with?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the situation, I call. There are many hands that he could have in this situation. JT, JTs, AJs, AQs. I don't see how we can fold this turn. Do you think he called the flop bet with 99? Maybe he flopped a straight, maybe he had J9, maybe Q9 and was chasing a gutshot (unlikely). Still there are a lot of hands that would c/rai and the bettor might think his hand is good.

A lot of other players stated that checking the turn is a better Idea, which I would say has some merit, but I still probably get it in on the turn. We are only behind to a made straight. It is likely that he flopped it or we are ahead. What 9 did he call your flop bet with?

[/ QUOTE ]
How can you be beaten? You are only beaten by a higher set. As I explained before, if you know he has a straight, calling is cEV even.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM

the turn bet is good, and probably better than a check. Tough spot now, but I'd have to call.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the turn bet is good, and probably better than a check. Tough spot now, but I'd have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff, if the turn bet is good, shouldn't this be an easy call? If we aren't planning on calling a shove, I don't see the point in betting.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff, if the turn bet is good, shouldn't this be an easy call? If we aren't planning on calling a shove, I don't see the point in betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is c/shoving very rarely. I would certainly bet most of the time with top set here. I think you probably have to call now, but a read on the villain's preflop range could convince me that a check is a better play than a bet, although unlike most of the posts so far, even if that were the case I think it would only be marginally better.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How can you be beaten? You are only beaten by a higher set. As I explained before, if you know he has a straight, calling is cEV even.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "beaten" he propably means that hero has <50% equity. Just having the odds to call doesn't mean he isnt beaten.