Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: 25NL - 99 Overpair vs raise

can I get any more opinions on this (hopefully with reasoning included)? there seems to be some difference of opinion.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM

The main reason I would not donk this flop, and go for a check/call, or check/raise is because our hand is actually decent.

If I had something like A5, or 44, I would donk this flop almost every single time. Because if he raises, I would be able to get away from my hand pretty easily. I might even donk with two overcards.

However, since our hand IS and overpair, and I would have trouble folding to a raise, like you are having now, I would opt for probably check raising. CR is a pretty strong line, and unless the villain has a higher pair, or definitely has us beat, I don't see him continuing if he is a decent player.

However, if you have no stats on him, and don't know if he's decent, you might go for check/call, since he'll call your CR with like AQ anyway. Reevaluate on turn, and I often donk a blank turn, because he's not going to raise the turn with nothing, even if he's pretty much a drooler.

The problem I have with people saying fold as played, is that it's just so weak. We have a decent hand, and granted we are OOP, the villain IS a CO PFR, and I know that if I was in his spot, I am raising a flop donk here with a really wide range, I'm talking like AJ. Simply because people donk/fold so often. I don't see us folding this after he raises, so I don't donk in the first place. However, as played, I think 3betting and calling are both options I'm not happy about, but will be forced to take, since folding is meh.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:52 PM

thanks, I think you explained it well
Old 09-21-2007, 02:55 PM

Really bad spot to donk the flop. Either C/R or C/C and lead the turn. Most people cbet this flop, and many will raise your lead with ATC here.