Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 03:16 AM

Default WCOOP Radio Rant

Wow, where to begin.

Well, let’s start with this. If you’ve heard even a few minutes of this year’s WCOOP radio coverage you must fall squarely into one of two groups:
1) Those who believe there can be no question that these broadcasts will change the outcomes of a number of these events.
2) Those who are [censored] retarded*.
*and I don’t mean a little retarded, not like Rain Man retarded where you’re [censored] but you can still do some stuff and are ultimately lovable; I mean like mentally-[censored]-don’t know-up-from-down-and-can’t-help-[censored]-yourself retarded.

Sure there’s a delay, but they are still talking about the play in near real time.
They talk about what hands to play in what positions, how to react to reraises, how to play in the blinds.
In terms of the actual play of the people at the FT, they are making note of who is “being most active”. They are mentioning, moments after a hand is done that one person “was probably bluffing there with a hand like ___” and making note of blind defenses and such. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I know if I was ever at a FT and there was a radio broadcast saying “kneeco is raising a lot pf attacking the blinds” I’d be annoyed -- it wouldn’t necessarily hurt me, I might be able to turn it to my advantage -- regardless the sure thing is that it would without a doubt effect my play and that of my opponents.

They are also divulging who bought in direct and who satted in, which I’m sure will be good promotion for stars when they keep saying ‘Joe is guaranteed 100,000$ and he only spent FPPs to get here’ but don’t you think that would change how people play against Joe and probably cost him thousands in potential chop offers? (I’ll avoid drawing attention to how ironic it is that they’re broadcasting this and talking about players histories on Stars (“He bought it direct and he’s been a player since 2003!”) just months after limiting the dbs citing player privacy concerns).

And what’s with these 30 min mid-FT table breaks? Are these a product of the radio coverage?

Also, these real and undeniable benefits are only available to those speaking English – and while there may be an English only rule at the tables on Stars, they still invite players’ from all over to come play, and have a multitude of diff language versions of their website (and software?). Seems weird to say play WCOOP no matter what country you live in and language you speak, but only get live final table advice from World Champions if you understand English.

Pokerstars needs to stand up and take notice that they are doing a big thing badly, and I don’t mean like considering potential changes for next year, I mean like admitting that this is a severely failed experiment and changing it drastically or pulling the plug ASAP.

I’ve already emailed them, feel free to do so if you feel the same if you’re heard the show and agree with any of the above.

/rant
Old 09-16-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: WCOOP Radio Rant

Bump
Old 09-16-2007, 03:27 AM

They have the breaks scheduled under "Tournament Info" in the lobby. (15min during the 5th hour, 30min break every 10th hr - same as last year).

However, I agree with almost all of your points. It's a bad idea that's poorly executed.

Get mlagoo on the line, he'll talk about what gets the people goin!
Old 09-16-2007, 03:56 AM

Wow, i was not aware of any of this.

Good post Kneeco, affecting the outcome of a tournament like this is not acceptable.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:56 AM

Agree completely, stars, wtf.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:06 AM

Go Bart.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:54 AM

Agreed. They shouldn't be giving any kinds of advice, or talking any kind of strategy. It should all be play by play of the action.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:02 AM

Agree with most of the OP. It's pretty astonishing.

But the breaks are scheduled - and neccesary in 12hr plus tourneys.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. They shouldn't be giving any kinds of advice, or talking any kind of strategy. It should all be play by play of the action.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whilst I fully agree with OP, I dont see the purpose of a broadcast then. Once they just screencapture the table and say stuff like "xy raises to 30230, ab comes over the top and is all in for 2356567 woooohooooo" - why would I want to watch it?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:09 AM

v good post

obviously stars meant well with these broadcasts and they can be entertaining to listen to, but they don't work in practice