Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 09-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Borgata $5k JJ in pos w/40 BB

Level 5 of 5k NLHE, 15k starting chips, I have 16.5k, had just lost 7k on a bad beat about one orbit earlier, other than that my image is super-nit tight.

UTG +2 (15k) opens for 1200 200-400/25 level
MP1 (30k) Straight-forward donk calls
MP3 (20k) Weak-tight donk calls
CO/Hero (16.5k) w/ JJ re-raises to 4k
all fold, UTG+2 folds, MP1 TAAAANKS (not hollywood) and finally calls (90 secs), MP3 folds.

Flop (11250) 9c6c6s. MP1 checks, Hero bets 6k leaving 6850 behind, MP1 tanks for 2 mins and calls - he obviously hates life and his spot.

Turn (23250) Ks, MP1 checks, I shove 6850, he tanks for 75 seconds and finally calls w/QQ.

I never even had that in his range. Even if it's in his range, it's the top of his range without question. Did I miss something or get unlucky? Critique on play?

Devo
Old 09-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Borgata $5k JJ in pos w/40 BB

Your reraise was pretty damn small after an EP raise and 2 callers. I'd have made it to like 5200. The fact that he flat called your reraise is what threw you off. Just about anybody would push all in at that point to isolate. So you pretty much eliminated any high PP from then on I'm guessing. He played it extremely passively. He obviously did not even look to see that you bet 1/2 your chips on the flop cuz he just called your bet. On that board, I'm pretty sure anyone would just c/r you all in. I'm gonna have to go with "unlucky" that you played a hand with a donk who happened to have 1 pair higher than you. For ppl who think maybe he was slowrolling, by the description of how things went down it didn't seem like he was slowrolling at all but being extremely cautious and scared.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 PM

Yeah - it made sense what was going on in his mind as I was writing my blog, because if donk's don't vehemently protect their QQish, then they're often extremely afraid of strength shown behind them. My play/image was EXTREMELY strong, and he was convinced (in the donkish I still can't fold way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] that I had AA or KK.

This hand has made me think about the psychology of what's going on here about re-learning how to think like a donk and either avoid these spots or maximize value in these spots. I thought I was doing the latter and he had precisely TT, but it bothers me that QQ never even entered my mind. I honestly was praying that he would call my shove on the turn.

Meh.

Edit- the 4k raise was because I wanted it to be big enough to get the job done but small enough to not commit me and still leave me room to fire two reasonable bullets post flop. I obv. am never shoving flop and wanted to be able to bet 1/2 pot on flop and still shove turn for a bigger bet, hopefully trapping pairs <JJ while still being able to protect from AKishes that see flop.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 PM

I was thinking earlier that your raise after 2 callers of OR did look like a KK or AA type raise because it was so small. If only the K came on the flop, the guy probably would have gotten away from it, assuming you bet. The fact that he didn't put you all in on the flop and then called your all in on the turn when the K came just freakin boggles my mind. $5K buy in with players like this, amazing.