Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Old 06-02-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: ICM Article from Current Issue

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing that there is virtually no feedback to this article. In my opinion it's the one with the biggest impact on practical play and every SnG player should read it twice!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been meaning to get back to this article, but one thing that jumped out right away was this "silly" example:

[ QUOTE ]
For example, lets say the blinds are 100/200 and you have AQo in the Big Blind and a stack of 2,356 with four people remaining. The little blind has 4,268. The cutoff has 2,780 and the button has 4,096 meaning you have about 19% tournament equity. The Little Blind moves all in. If you fold your blind, you will have 18.65% tournament equity. If you call and win, you will have 31% tournament equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calculating hundredths of tourney equity, based on chip stacks that shouldn't be possible (did we start with T1/2 blinds?), seemed a bit "strange" to me.

I'm assuming the author worked backwards from the percentage to get the stacks, but it bothered the nit in me a little. Just a comment..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at.

I don't know if this was an example or an actual hand, but the stacks are possible since people can type in odd bet amounts.

Calculating equity down to fractions of a percent is necessary since the edges that you can accept for a play to be correct can be measured in fractions of a %, especially as the stacks become shallower.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: ICM Article from Current Issue

Even if one could not use odd bet amounts, there is the problem of split pots which don't always work out even, and the issue of multi-side pots as well that would produce odd values.

If you don't believe me on this, try playing a lot of B&M where you can only use integral chip units. Often you'll have situations where a white is left over but needs to be given to TWO players. There is a rule on position related to the button in deciding WHICH of these players grabs the odd chip. Of course it doesn't really matter, since 99% of the time it goes into the toke box, the other 1% of the time a guy stiffs the dealer :P