Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: When should child support end?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate that you brought up your aunt, because Im not making a direct attack on her, but imo, anyone who cant survive on their own after a divorce, did it to themselves by using marriage as a crutch. 50 something % of all marriages end in divorce, if you are planning ahead, I cant have much sympathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a spouse who stays home and takes care of the kids/home so the other one can work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said earlier that when there are kids involved its a different ball game.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate that you brought up your aunt, because Im not making a direct attack on her, but imo, anyone who cant survive on their own after a divorce, did it to themselves by using marriage as a crutch. 50 something % of all marriages end in divorce, if you are planning ahead, I cant have much sympathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a spouse who stays home and takes care of the kids/home so the other one can work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said earlier that when there are kids involved its a different ball game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, fair enough, I didn't see that post.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, look...these laws exist primarily so that people can make plans. That's part of the reason marriage is significant, IMO. It allows you to live your life as a couple, make decisions as a couple, and know that there are some legal protections involved should your commitment to one another fail.

Certainly there are instances where it sucks. If my fiancee were to start banging some other dude after we get married and then were owed alimony payments from me because I make more money, then that would truly suck. And to be honest, I don't know if that would be the case.

But at the same time, if alimony were not a part of the deal, and (as a particularly blunt poster pointed out) 50% of marriages end in divorce and so people should be realistic enough to plan for that possibility...then why should my fiancee ever quit working? Yeah, it'd be better for the family we plan to have if at some point she can concentrate only on our house, kids, etc...and before then it may well be better for my business if she quits working for a salary and works for me...but why would she do any of that if she were being realistic about the 50% AND had no legal protection should something legitimately unfortunate happen to our marriage?

This is why laws like these exist.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont know, I just think that this si legistlating morality. Is it the right thing to do, yes, should the government make him do it? I personally dont believe so

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you don't believe the government should enforce contracts?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 PM

The argument for alimony is, at least in part, based on the assumption that one person stayed at home to tend hearth and home(sacrificing the chance to achieve eduction, business opportunity, career, income etc.) while the other person worked and had a career.

I think that trapsetter's aunt is the perfect example. Another example would be a mother who, post divorce is the primary caretaker and is not able to work full-time without sacrificing some portion of her parental care.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The argument for alimony is, at least in part, based on the assumption that one person stayed at home to tend hearth and home(sacrificing the chance to achieve eduction, business opportunity, career, income etc.) while the other person worked and had a career.

I think that trapsetter's aunt is the perfect example. Another example would be a mother who, post divorce is the primary caretaker and is not able to work full-time without sacrificing some portion of her parental care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my aunt was quite successful in her day. She hasn't worked in years though, and both she and her ex-husband were never exactly shy about spending money, and she also gave a lot of her money away to deadbeat relatives.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shouldn't this free the non custodial parent from any more regular financial obligation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say "when they remove the word 'parent' from his title" but I have to think about this one a little...

If he gets to stop giving money, does he get cut off from seeing the kids? Seems "fair" to do both, doesn't it?

This is a tricky one- I'll have to revisit this on Sunday.