Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Check Raising the Flop

I am wondering when it's sensible to check/raise the flop. Whenever I do it, it's generally because someone is too aggressive/c-bets too often. It almost always signifies that I have an OK hand or a bluff. If I have a STRONG hand, I'm calling and letting him bet again. If I have a set or whatever, I'm probably leading out as a check/raise loses value from hands I'd get it from by either check/calling or betting.

Where do you lot check/raise the flop?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Check Raising the Flop

i like check check raising good hands that are vulnerable to overcards, or as a bluff when i think someone is a one a pure steal and the board is good to resteal.

i also like drinking heavily and tilting away half my bankroll so that i have to rebuild just to play nl100 again, so what do i know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2007, 09:14 AM

My problem here is that if you check/raise and they push, you basically have to fold. Therefore, whenever you check/raise, they can push every time, and it's money down the drain.

However, you want to be able to check/raise sometimes so that you can say "hey, don't c-bet me 100% of the time, you won't get away with it" - if you fold every time you check the flop, they are going to play a lot more pots with you.

Is it just better to NEVER check/raise, but check/call? What to do with over-aggressive players? Check/call then lead seems poor.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:18 AM

Stop leading your sets and c/raise them instead. I never lead into the pfraiser in a HU pot.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:19 AM

i guess most of the time you do have to fold if someone shoves over ur checkraise, but i feel like i check raise only when i am fairly certain of my read that the villan has nothing or that i have the best hand. I really dont see too many villans pushing over the top of a checkraise without a set or a big combo draw.

I just really dont like check calling with a hand like 88 on a 742 flop when im in the SB against a button raise (reraise preflop is fine too, but i go about 75/25 call/reraise in this spot.)

I guess what im saying is i mostly checkraise when im fairly certain the villan only has overcards.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 AM

Thing is, I'm not often OOP when I'm not the preflop raiser, since I hardly ever call preflop raises OOP. That means I don't get the opportunity to check-raise very often at all. According to PT, I've check-raised the flop 43 times in 37k hands this month. In about half of those hands I was actually the preflop raiser. In the other 20, I check-raised with draws, with complete air, with sets and with overpairs.

[ QUOTE ]
My problem here is that if you check/raise and they push, you basically have to fold. Therefore, whenever you check/raise, they can push every time, and it's money down the drain.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you have to fold to their push? You can check-raise hands you're willing to stack off with as well. In fact, it's probably best, because people seem to call down check-raises really light. Or are you talking about check-raising with air?