Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Database design question

There was a post quite some time ago asking how best to represent a hand history in a relational DB.

I'm trying to learn (read: hacking around with) some database design stuff so I can create a webapp tailored to some specific things I want to see.

The big question I'm curious about is whether information like cbet%, PFraise%, etc. should be pre-calculated and stored in the database or whether that's the sort of thing that should be done on the fly.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Database design question

bump

Hoping somebody can offer some quick insight, or at least point me towards useful resources.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Database design question

You won't precompute most stats. But you'll want to store flags or counters related to the calculation intensive stats you will be accessing frequently. That way there is very little work to do beyond a simple expression query.

A lot of this is dependent on your backend. There is no significant reason why you couldn't let the server keep everything up to date for you via triggers and procedures. If there was a need to keep the client very lightweight (say for a pda) and the bandwidth way down say for a non broadband connection... you could do everything on the backend and just display results.

Bottom line is we are often running backend and client on a single machine or via a LAN with bandwidth and processing power to spare. So there is a tendency to just keep things simple and quick to develop via client side tools.

Good Luck,

Mike