Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Recommendations please

Thanks for the posts and welcomes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a break between semesters coming up, I'll look into all of these and grab a few. Getting Started in Hold 'em is a lock, both Gordon books look good. I like Yao's academic (boring?) tone so I'll get his book in time. You probably know this by now, but his sports book endorses and thanks this site, which is how I got here.

I have a lot of reading to do before posting about poker, but I will post my picks on the sports forum, I bet frequently on boxing and occasionally on UFC.

The best advice I can offer in return is to bet as much as you can afford on Mayweather Dec.8, the real line should be about -375, you can find -220 to -235. Even if you have no idea who the hell Floyd Mayweather is, this is a heavy mismatch and a surreal line. There's no bet remotely as enticing coming up in boxing/ufc.

Hope that helps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 AM

I know who Mayweather is, but even if I had the money I would not bet. I don't bet on anything I don't have some amount of control over. In other words, I only bet on myself. Well, me and my cat.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best advice I can offer in return is to bet as much as you can afford on Mayweather Dec.8, the real line should be about -375, you can find -220 to -235. Even if you have no idea who the hell Floyd Mayweather is, this is a heavy mismatch and a surreal line. There's no bet remotely as enticing coming up in boxing/ufc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mayweather is favourite but it's no mismatch. I have several friendly bets (at evens) on Hatton.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the posts and welcomes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a break between semesters coming up, I'll look into all of these and grab a few. Getting Started in Hold 'em is a lock, both Gordon books look good. I like Yao's academic (boring?) tone so I'll get his book in time. You probably know this by now, but his sports book endorses and thanks this site, which is how I got here.

I have a lot of reading to do before posting about poker, but I will post my picks on the sports forum, I bet frequently on boxing and occasionally on UFC.

Hope that helps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy one book, read it study it, put what it says into practice, read it more, study it some more BEFORE buying the next one.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 AM

Doc T River, thats a good philosophy.

I don't mean to take this thread off-topic, I was just offering a tip to those who don't follow the sport, all the bettors I've spoken to agreed the line is terrific, and have bet heavily.

I can delete my comment if inappropriate, I dont mean to create a discussion, just wanted to offer a tip in return.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually had to use wikipedia to understand your question, I'm a total beginner. My job has dry spells, figured id take the chance to learn about sports betting and poker, which ive always been interested in.

I could learn and practice limit and no-limit before playing for money, no rush. So recommendations on either subject are welcomed and appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest starting with Texas Holdem. Start with Ed Miller's "Getting Started in Holdem".
Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM

Start with Getting Started in Hold'em. Then purchase Small Stakes Hold'em and Winning in Low Limit Hold'em.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can delete my comment if inappropriate, I dont mean to create a discussion, just wanted to offer a tip in return.

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt anyone cares!

If you are trying to move the line so you can get value on Hatton, by all means. Otherwise you're just wrong: it's not a mismatch.