Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Japanese-Americans Internment Camps During World War II

Japanese-Americans Internment Camps During WWII

Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, the United States was gripped by war hysteria. This was especially strong along the Pacific coast of the U.S., where residents feared more Japanese attacks on their cities, homes, and businesses. Leaders in California, Oregon, and Washington, demanded that the residents of Japanese ancestry be removed from their homes along the coast and relocated in isolated inland areas. As a result of this pressure, on February 19, 1942, President Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066, which resulted in the forcible internment of 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry. More than two-thirds of those interned under the Executive Order were citizens of the United States, and none had ever shown any disloyalty.

Can't figure out if this is more like a facist behavior putting innocent people in concentration camps or more like totalitarian communist behavior in putting innocent people in gulags, you tell me? I guess this is a Roosevelt smear but the fact is that he is accountable for this. In no way can this be construed as anything other than a severe case of illegal government oppression. And if Roosevelt was willing to do this ...
Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Japanese-Americans Internment Camps During World War II

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is a Roosevelt smear but the fact is that he is accountable for this.

[/ QUOTE ]
You guess wrong.

As for your confusion, I'd say the camps were more similar to Hitler than Stalin. Hitler put people in camps for racial eugenics reasons, Stalin did it because they were perceived as political opponents.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 AM

[x] It's not fascism when we do it
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 AM

On the oft chance you're actually replying to me instead of making your standard anti-government point, I just said it was fascism.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the oft chance you're actually replying to me instead of making your standard anti-government point, I just said it was fascism.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in response to the OP and in agreement with your post.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:14 AM

Oh, and PS: I'm disappointed you locked the Bush fascist coup thread. You made a false claim in there and you stifled debate on an important news item.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not fascism when there isn't a dictator.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not fascism when there isn't a dictator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, the power in an authoritarian state doesn't have to rest with a single individual.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 AM

On the Munson Report (excerpts), finished before Pearl Harbor, in anticipation of a war with Japan:

[ QUOTE ]

When war seemed imminent with Japan, President Roosevelt in the fall of 1941 assigned Curtis B. Munson, a representative of the State Department, to go to the West Coast and Hawaii to determine the degree of loyalty to be found among the residents of Japanese descent. Munson carried out the investigation in October and the beginning of November. The investigation resulted in a twenty-five page report which had reached Roosevelt's office by early November. The report held great significance for the Japanese residing on the West Coast. The overall result of the report was that "there is no Japanese 'problem' on the Coast. There will be no armed uprising of Japanese. There will undoubtedly be some sabotage financed by Japan and executed largely by imported agents" (Weglyn 1996: 45).

The report further stated "for the most part, the local Japanese are loyal to the U.S. or, at worst, hope that by remaining quiet they can avoid concentration camps or irresponsible mobs. We do not believe that they would be at least any more loyal than any other racial group in the United States with whom we went to war" (Kumamoto 1979: 68). The Munson Report should have conclusively put to rest the existence of Japanese sabotage in the United States. The report also should have resolved any fears about the security of the West Coast as well. "Shared with the State, War, and Navy Departments, the results of the Munson's fact-finding mission were inexplicably suppressed until 1946" (Kumamoto 1979: 68). The lack of any evidence showing the Japanese-Americans being involved in espionage rings should have prevented the need for internment camps, but after the attack on Pearl Harbor the United States government chose to impound innocent people behind barbed wire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Article

See also the Rengle Report on Japanese Internment.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for your confusion, I'd say the camps were more similar to Hitler than Stalin.

[/ QUOTE ]

except for that whole part about *killing* them once they where in the camps.

my real question which probably deserves its own thread is Why are we allowing Japan to build up an offensive military when it is clearly against their constitution.

it is (another) slap in the face by the Bush administration to those who served in a real war for freedom, WWII.