Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 01:52 PM

Default How long do you keep pushing this situation?

If I had to name one situation that costs me a huge amount of money consistently, this is it. I start with pocket aces, queens, or kings, all overcards to anything on the board. I raise pretty much every time on third. This situation seems straight forward to me, but it's costing me so much money, that I thought I would see what everyone else thinks. Stakes are 2/4 to 5/10.

Case 1 - one or two callers chase me to the river, and their boards do not pair up. I bet all the way to the river with no improvement, and usually check call if it is HU or fold if there are two guys seeing the river. I consistently lose to hands like 8's and 2's or some other two pair. When the circumstances present themselves, I will try to isolate with check raises and try to knock at least one villain out by making him call two cold.

Case 2: Same as above but one or both villains pair up, so I know I am behind. They start betting into me. I am pretty sure that if hit aces, kings, or queens up that I will win the hand, so I usually see the river. If I put one or more of them on a made straight or flush, I will usually fold. I end up not improving to the river - everyone checks and I lose the hand. No one folds two pair in these situations, so betting is typically pointless. Once in a while I will call a bet with unimproved aces HU, depending on villain, how dead his cards are etc. I win these often enough to make selective calling profitable.

Any suggestions on how to play these situations more profitably? I estimate that I am losing 70-80% of these starting hands over the last several months with great damage to the BR.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: How long do you keep pushing this situation?

use pokertracker which will probably tell you that you are winning in these spots more often than you think you are. if you arent then stop running bad.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: How long do you keep pushing this situation?

sounds like you are just running bad with these hands, as you have about a 40%-50% chance of hitting aces up (correct me if im wrong) when you start out with a pair. Only thing I'd tell ya is to maybe check raise 4th or 5th to help get out the stragglers.