Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: American Gangster

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't characterize the movie as a travesty. It was a gangster movie the likes of which we've seen before enlivened by two of our finest actors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on this one as much as we disagreed on "3:10 to Yuma".

One scene made me feel old though. Some guy is showing Rusell Crowe a microwave (and letting him know he can have one that dropped off a truck for $100) and Crowe's looking at it like it's something from outer space. Then I realize I was already an adult at a time when when microwaves were being introduced.

Don't know if you read the article linked in the OP. Good story.

~ Rick
Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just can't believe how many NYC cops were corrupt. Unreal.
A total free for all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the part about it that aggravates me. The fictionalizing of an incredible story to supposedly make it "better" is a Hollywood cancer, and it's especially disappointing from someone with the skill of Ridley Scott. He's far from havimg to be a hack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you didn't read the part at the end of the movie, did ya? 40% of NY's drug enforcement officers were arrested.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:02 PM

Re-read what I wrote, and further reiterated.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 AM

Enjoyed the article. Here's an interview with Lucas and Nicky Barnes:

http://nymag.com/guides/money/2007/39948/
Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 AM

Did I miss something in this movie, or was the entire investigation portion glossed over? It seemed like there was the fight, then bam, straight to the end. I wasn't sure if this wanted to be a gangster movie or a bad ripoff of The Wire or what, but it didn't really have the depth of either of them. To me anyways, it felt like a slow movie, but I couldn't really tell you anything about it other than the bare facts of case. I certainly didn't connect with any of the characters, none of them were developed in any meaningful way. I just felt like I'd seen everything this movie had to offer before and seen it much, much better, not a travesty but nothing better than a generic, mediocre movie.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I miss something in this movie, or was the entire investigation portion glossed over? It seemed like there was the fight, then bam, straight to the end. I wasn't sure if this wanted to be a gangster movie or a bad ripoff of The Wire or what, but it didn't really have the depth of either of them. To me anyways, it felt like a slow movie, but I couldn't really tell you anything about it other than the bare facts of case. I certainly didn't connect with any of the characters, none of them were developed in any meaningful way. I just felt like I'd seen everything this movie had to offer before and seen it much, much better, not a travesty but nothing better than a generic, mediocre movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo
Old 11-14-2007, 02:46 AM

That's racist.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM

I liked it on a pure entertainment level. It's not a movie that will change your life or anything so don't expect that.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 PM

I liked the movie a lot. The article linked in the OP is also very cool and the interview was interesting (although not as interesting as the article).

I didn't think the movie was long, the time went by quickly for me. I thought the movie was excellent. The story is interesting, the pace is great, the performances are excellent. I went in with very high expectations (Ridley Scott + Denzel + Russell Crowe = High expectations) and I wasn't disappointed.