Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 AM

Default ***World Champion Red Sox Offseason Thread***

I know, the parade hasn't even happened yet, but it's never really too early to start thinking about what we do to repeat. In no particular order, things which need to be addressed:

1. 3B - I'm on record, even before the WS MVP, that I would not mind seeing the Sox overpay slightly for Lowell. I think we've regretted letting Cabrera go, and I think Lowell is probably a better player than O-Cab. A-Rod and that [censored] Boras should not even be contacted.

2. Schilling/Rotation - Does Schill hang it up? I'm honestly not sure if he's got a full season left. Do we keep him around as a 4/5 starter for a year, or does he really think he can command a big bucks FA contract? Wakefield is probably nearing done as well, and though we seem set 1-3 with Beckett, Dice and Lester, and we're all obviously very optimistic about Bucholz, who wouldn't like to see us go after a certain lefty from Minneapolis?

3 - CF. Is Jacoby ready to be an everyday CF? Will Crisp accept being a 4th OF, or do we just plan on having a 4 man OF rotation, considering that Manny is probably going to need rest/DH somedays. Anyway to get Brandon Moss at least a meaningful look next year?

4 - C. It's probably about time to start thinking about a replacement for Tek. Especially if wake doesn't come back, we don't have a whole lot of use for Mirabelli, so who ever the future is will probably get 40 or so games.

5 - Middle relief - Timmy, god love him, is probably at about the end of the line. which leaves us with Paps, Oki (who may or may not be as effective in year two, and certainly needs his workload reduced, regardless) and...MDC who's probably ok as your 2nd righty setup guy, and Javier Lopez, of whom the less we say, the better. Do we deal Crisp for an arm or two? I honestly don't think so, because Crisp is something of a known quantity, while, with a few exceptions, bullpen arms are so high variance that any trade would be a gigantic crapshoot. Hopefully Theo and the brain wizards have a plan to give us 3-4 more guys in the pen and have 2-3 more arms waiting in Pawtuckett...

6. Securing opening day tickets. went in '05. It was awesome. Back in '08, and hopefully more...
Old 10-30-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Re: ***World Champion Red Sox Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
1. 3B - I'm on record, even before the WS MVP, that I would not mind seeing the Sox overpay slightly for Lowell. I think we've regretted letting Cabrera go, and I think Lowell is probably a better player than O-Cab. A-Rod and that [censored] Boras should not even be contacted.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the Sox would 'slightly overpay' another team will probably outbid and give more years.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:56 AM

3B - Really sounds like the Sox aren't even going to push for A-Rod so please sign Lowell, none of this moving Youk to 3b talk please guys.

Schill - For purely selfish reasons I want him to stay, he would be good for the young guys but thinking objectively, we obviously don't need him, think about this rotation for a second, we are f'ing stacked for the future and now.

1-Becks (28yrs old)
2-Lester (23) Showed aggression and stuff, another offseason will be HUGE for him
3-Dice K (28) Should improve leaps with a full offseason conditioning program
4-Clay (23) No-No in his rookie year, should be better albeit inconsistent
5-Schill? Wake? Random Vet?

They also have Masterson in the minors who is a good arm

Catcher - I think Tek enters this season with 3 serviceable years left full time, maybe 2. Cash looked decent at times, I wouldn't mind giving him the chance to win the catcher of the future.

Coco - I think Jacoby should enter the season leading the battle for CF and Coco's contract should be a good trading chip if we are looking for another starter or a replacement if Lowell leaves.

The most exciting thing about this offseason/team is that they are so young that they could basically stand pat and lose the contracts of Schill/Clement/Lowell and have a lot of money to sit on for the right guy, even if they don't spend any of that extra money they are still f'ing stacked.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:57 AM

Also Re: Bullpen

I am really hopeful that Hansen can come back up and give us something next year, kid has sick talent, he just needs to tweak a few things.

One last thing, do they shop Manny's contract again this year? Dangle coco to Min for Hunter and move Jacoby to left?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:59 AM

3B-

bye mike, love you glad we could help you get a fat contract.

hi youk!~

1B- whomever is available

schilling. one year for 13? sure, np.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:59 AM

the title of this thread is going to tilt me all off season ugh
Old 10-30-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Will you jump off a building if the Tigers sign Arod? [/hijack]
Old 10-30-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Will you jump off a building if the Tigers sign Arod? [/hijack]

[/ QUOTE ]

most likely

oh and coco, 2nd most expensive 4th OF in MLB

Hunter is a FA.

3B- sign A-rod to 10 year 300 million contract
enjoy Curse of Arod gimmick account showing up in threads for next decade.