Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 AM

Default Raising Limpers - Button

I often find myself on the button with two limps in front of me.

Assume 100bb stacks and each player will fold to CB 60%. Blinds fold 85% to steals. Players are standard for uNL.

Are you folding, limping or raising the following?

87s
A6s
KTo
A9o

Feel free to add any other hands.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Raising Limpers - Button

I assume it's 6max. I raise all of them except maybe KTo, depends on the table.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:53 AM

With one limper I raise all of the above, with 2 limpers it depends on if they can let go of bottom pair OOP
Old 10-02-2007, 04:55 AM

i will raise 78s and any higher sc,

but KT i will mostly muck, depending on what the limpers where like, fe if they have a very low PR.

A9 is close, but mostly raise, if i dont expect them to limp with At+, which not many do, but some

A6 = fold for me, i dont want to have tricky postflop situations because i suck
Old 10-02-2007, 04:59 AM

w/ 200bb i raise all usually.
dont really play w/ 100bb ever, so IDK.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 AM

I raise all of 'em almost always.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 AM

I'd prob fold A9o and raise the others.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 AM

I haven't thought about this deeply, but I think you may have actually set up a situation where it's possible raising any two is profitable (assuming that in addition to the 60-percent fold to c-bet, we're not facing many preflop limp-reraises or flop 2/3-pot donkbets with air).

I mean, if, say, the blinds go away and both limpers call, we're going to take the pot with a c-bet ~ 36 percent of the time. That's about enough if you're betting 2/3 pot on your c-bet, and occasionally you'll make a hand in the meantime.

Those times you end up HU instead, the play basically seems automatically profitable.

But, of course, if you're constantly raising limpers from LP, people are going to try to adjust. So it's probably better to pick your spots and try not to be too obvious about what you're doing.

The table can begin to thwart this "raise the limpers" strategy by 3-betting lighter from the blinds and limp-reraising more from EP (and by tightening up, and by playing more chicken with you postflop), but if they aren't doing this much, then I guess you can get away with a lot.

One adjustment I think people do begin to make, though, is to open-raise in front of you instead of limping. I think they start to tighten up a bit too. Or they leave and are replaced by TAGs who are attracted by the stats your formerly good table was generating. So enjoy it while it lasts, I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. And then close that table when it turns sour and replace it with another one you can temporarily push around.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 AM

87s plays fine multiway, I'm inclined to limp it because I mos def want to see a flop. The others depend if I think a raise will get it HU. if not, I'll limp them. Of course, in your scenario, raising is always profitable, but in reality in the micros I'm likely to be called in 3 places pre and twice on the flop.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:00 AM

Out of those hands I am only going to raise 87s with 2 limpers in the pot. Even then it kinda depends on how often I think they will all fold. If the table likes to limp/fold alot then I might use a much wider range. Generally though they like to limp/call and I dont like to have ace rag when that happens, so I dump the aces. I dont mind the SC's since you can bet the flop and check behind on turn as needed the majority of the time hitting your draw and then get cussed out afterwards against someone that slow plays a set. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]