Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-26-2007, 12:52 AM

Default 2/4: This is a semibluf or bluff here a lot right?

6max, villain is fslexduck who i believe is a 2p2er HSNLer, but that is the extent of my prior memory of him. We have been playing for an hour on a couple tables and so for he has made a few bad plays and bluffs that may come from his holdem background, inexperience with PLO, or disrespect for the money at stake. He likely views me as a LAG capable of bluffing and folding.

In this hand he has 480, SB has 600 and is a bad LAG, and I cover them both.

Villain open-raises on the button, SB 3bets to 42 (he has 3bet preflop three of the last four hands), I call with AQ105ds planning to fold if villain 4bets since I have only seen him do that with AA preflop.

Flop (135): Q J 4 with two hearts I have no way to make a flush:
Checked around

Turn 2 offsuit: SB checks, I bet 105, Villain pushes, SB
folds, 330 more to me
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: 2/4: This is a semibluf or bluff here a lot right?

yeah it is hard for this to be a big hand, I call.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 AM

I'd fold preflop first. No point in cold-calling a 3-bet with such a weakish hand, especially when you're going to lose all the value of the call whenever you get 4-bet.

While the read you gave helps a lot, it would be nice to know how villain has been playing preflop. If villain has tightish PF stats, then you can take a lot of Q2, J2, 22 type hands out of her range, and it becomes an easy call on the flop.

I guess it's probably a call anyway though. You've almost got direct odds with your redraw against any two pair that villain picked up, so it's only exactly 22 that really worries you. Villain's going to have a wrap or weak combo draw a lot more often that she hits a set on the turn here.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah it is hard for this to be a big hand, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed that this can't be a big hand, and Duck has to know that you don't have much either which makes this even more of a call.

I don't know Duck's omaha style but given that she plays quite a bit higher than this in NLHE (typically I find that most of these players play draws that are much too thin in omaha) I'd probably say that she'd fire just about any decent flush and/or straight draw at this pot. You're getting ok odds against another 2-pair because of your straight and higher 2-pair outs.

However, I think you're only really getting correct odds against the very low end of any decent range here. I probably think to myself "they don't have [censored]" but still fold and buy a stuffed duck and light it on fire.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 AM

When I first bet I wasn't sure whether I would fold to a raise, but once it came and I took a minute to think it seemed really hard for her to have QJ+ so I called and she showed AJ109 without suits. My hand held up.

Iggy I think you are right that preflop is pretty dicey, I may be leaking there, gotta tighten up my 3bet calling range.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:19 AM

I wouldn't usually call preflop either, but if SB is really bad and button rarely 4 bets it is marginally OK.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:49 AM

i like your call once you get to this spot vs someone decently aggressive but i think preflop is utter spew and it isn't even a little bit close.

and i do play tons of omaha, usually at higher stakes, so some of my spewy plays might have been adjusting to the new style, i dunno. anyways