Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Limit Hold\'em: Winning Short-Handed Strategies...

Just got this today, and the timing couldn't be better as I'm about to head off to Mexico for a few days with my new copy in hand. Nothing like a couple of long flights to mow through a good book!

For those that have read this, how do you feel it compares to the Stoxtrader book, which most consider *THE* book of short handed LHE?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Limit Hold\'em: Winning Short-Handed Strategies...

It's not nearly as advanced or detailed or thurough. Other than that it's great. Actually it's a pretty good read, there is alot of fluff though, but I like fluff. There are only about 100 pages of actualy hard strategy. I liked it though. I'd definetly reccommend it.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Here is a previous thread
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 PM

It is a superb book. For "normal" players it is probably more useful and applicable than Stox's book. Stox's book remember, is geared towards tough games and tough opponents whereas this book covers probably more "mainstream" type conditions. Having said that they are both great and are both worth reading, especially considering the lack of good shorthanded literature available.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 PM

Hi Mike -

I think the books are overall on different topics. Stox/Zobags deal with tough games (e.g. very high-limit) and focuses on strategic aspects. I think it is an excellent book.

Our book (winning short-handed strategies) is intended to comprehensively cover short-handed limit play. This means we covered all relevant topics. Some of these topics like statistics, player modeling, seat selection and rake/rakeback can be considered fluff but I think these are underdeveloped areas where many readers could benefit.

I did a quick look through the winning SH strategies book and counted nearly 200 pages of "hard strategy". In my opinion the two books are equally advanced but are presented in different ways.

Finally, thanks Adman for your comments on the book. We're really glad you've enjoyed the book and think so highly of it.

Terry Borer
LHE: winning SH strategies