Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit

Old 11-03-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: SSHE or Winning Low Limit (Lee Jones)?

GSIH - Getting Started in Hold 'Em
Old 11-03-2007, 03:36 PM

For those who state GSIH--have you read it? I thought it was mostly a nOOb book.

OP: I have no problem going straight to SSHE, if you employ the concepts properly. A lot of people have a hard time employing the concepts of this book in the right situations. Regarding WLLH, there are good and bad parts. The worst IMO is that he suggests not raising AK / JJ in the BB.

Buzz
Old 11-03-2007, 03:53 PM

yeah I am certainly not new to holdem, I don't want to read a book that spends the first 2 chapters teaching me about the flop turn and river. I wil start with Lee Jones and Breeze through and then play some and then read SSHE and review LLHE
Old 11-03-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who state GSIH--have you read it? I thought it was mostly a nOOb book.
Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it, and it seemed very basic at the time, but it was after I had already read SSHE.

Glancing through it again just now, I can see that it does cover a fair amount of stuff.

I think that it would be fine as an introduction for a new player.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have played any significant amount of LHE then the first few chapters are completely useless, but he does get into:

-Pot odds (including necessary pot odds per estimated outs on the flop)
-Evaluating relative hand strength
-Equity pumping draws

And some other stuff that is definitely of use to the type of person who isn't sure if they can beat even soft games

In other words, it's a n00b book, but definitely enough foundation to go on to better books than WLLH (and unlike WLLH won't put a lot of bad ideas in your head in the process)
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM

I read WLLH, played a chunk, read SSHE, played a chunk, re-read the postflop portions of those books, played a chunk, and then read ITH which I found clarified some concepts that I just wasn't getting from the other two. Now I cycle through the three of them.

I have not read GSIH but I've heard that it also gives some intro to the choice between Limit and NL.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I am certainly not new to holdem, I don't want to read a book that spends the first 2 chapters teaching me about the flop turn and river. I wil start with Lee Jones and Breeze through and then play some and then read SSHE and review LLHE

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you get the latest (3rd edition) of WLLH. I don't know if the first two editions are still available, but the 3rd is the cleanest version.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is better to read first and why? Or is one or the other not even worth a read? After reading these should I be able to beat .02/.04 at PS...in your expert opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whose gimmick-troll account are you, anyway?

I'm guessing you're getting a few responses like, "WLLH?! ZOMG, that's like setting money on fire twice, first to buy it, then the money you lose playing that way!" That's just wrong. Keep in mind that these are the same people that will tell you things like, "You're a nOOb, your VPIP should be closer to 15 than to 20."

Jones's style is very conservative. You will not come close to maximizing your winrate, but you also won't come within 100 miles of the kind of ROR that's associated with misapplying SSHE concepts. You've said in other posts that you're not a complete nOOb, so you can probably handle SSH, but use these forums as a buffer for it.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 PM

Thanks Bozlax.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:14 PM

I haven't read WLL but I did begin my poker reading with GSHE followed by SSHE (although technically the 1st poker book I read was a certain book by some dude that's won a lot of bracelets!)

GSHE is a fantastic book to begin with & gave me a good foundation to start playing poker, SSHE just helped me make money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

After reading SSHE I would highly recommend Theory of Poker (imho possibly the best poker book written) as well as looking up King Yao's book.