Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:40 AM

Default THE FLUSH

Is there any here who NEVER draws to the non-nut flush? At the nanos and micros, it seems as if some most people will do anything to complete any flush.

My opponent-reading is not excellent yet, but as a strict rule I don't go for a flush unless it is Ace-high.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: THE FLUSH

flush is money
Old 09-17-2007, 11:48 AM

you leave money on the table
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My opponent-reading is not excellent yet, but as a strict rule I don't go for a flush unless it is Ace-high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started out with the same mindset, but you should work on changing this. A few points that might help:

<ul type="square">[*]Watch a few videos from forum members. I assume you're playing with scared money in regards to flushes and probably had your fair share of flush over flush beats. You'll often encounter the "well, if he has a higher flush, there's nothing I can do about it" mindset in the vids. Let it brainwash you into ticking the same way.
[*]Monotone boards look quite intimidating, but try to approach these as rationally as you can. After all, you're not assuming your opponent hit a set on every board you play with him, do you? This means, just because the possibility of a flush is there it doesn't mean your opponent actually has made one. Quite the contrary, as long as you have a hand it's often a good idea to keep the pressure up since a flush draw is more likely here than a made flush. The more you accept to play lower flushes the more often you'll encounter this scenario by the way. Just be aware that your flush isn't the nuts, so if you face heavy resistance (especially if the board is four to a flush), be ready to give it up, if you have to.
[*]Most importantly by just playing ace high flushes you're actually neglecting suited connectors, which is a huge mistake. They're pretty good hands and to tell you the truth I'd much rather 3bet 98s than AJs. The reason is that SCs are much less likely to get you in trouble than suited aces (since top pair, while looking pretty, often doesn't cut it with the latter), your opponent doesn't really expect you to have them in the micros and to top it off there are a few spots where you can play your suited connectors extremely strong. For example whenever you have an open-ended straight draw in addition to your flush draw.
[*]An option to make your weaker flushes more profitable would be to raise more. I don't know how you are playing your suited hands preflop, but let's say you limp 87s on the button, then you're letting in hands like K4s and the like in for cheap. If you raise these hands preflop, you are drastically cutting back crap hands that would dominate you draw-wise postflop. Once you're playing a raised pot you're usually ahead once you made your flush.[/list]
Old 09-17-2007, 01:41 PM

There are no words. It depends on how you execute this terrible plan, but I'm sure the details would be gory.

Do you fold made non-nut flushes, then?

You never bet TP/MP flush draws?

You don't play SC any differently than regular connectors?

The idea is bad but your adherence to your own "strict" rule could make it awful or negligible.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:44 PM

Depends on opponent, stack sizes, table image. Too general of a question, ktnxbye.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any here who NEVER draws to the non-nut flush? At the nanos and micros, it seems as if some most people will do anything to complete any flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad rule. If you hold a flush, the odds your opponent does decreases significantly. You should of course proceed with caution without the nuts, but folding all but the nut flush is terribly nitty. You're leaving a lot of value out there.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad rule. If you hold a flush, the odds your opponent does decreases significantly. You should of course proceed with caution without the nuts, but folding all but the nut flush is terribly nitty. You're leaving a lot of value out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
it's also an awful play because that means you're probably playing suited aces pretty frequently and are neglecting suited connectors. does this mean you call raises OOP with A4d to chase a flush? or what? if you're playing a hand that you would typically play, like a 78s, are you just going to muck when the flush hits? or not count flush outs as real outs? the statistical probability of someone having a better flush even if you have 23s is so small, and the odds of them having a set or 2 pair or something that will pay you off is much higher.
Closed Thread