Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 03:51 AM

Default Enhancing your Multi-tabling - Position Advice

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, I will prefer to have position on a TAG (tight and aggressive player, the kind of foe I wish to avoid as much as possible), than to have position on a target.

[/ QUOTE ]

is it possible that the editors of the "Two Plus Two Internet Magazine" could make a slight effort to keep blatantly wrong advice out of its articles?

it should be plain to see for everyone with a basic understanding of poker theory that it is more advantageous to have position on people that you want to be involved in pots with rather than having position on people who you would prefer to avoid competing for pots with

even if you had no preference at all whether you got involved in pots with your "targets" or with a TAG the math behind the superiority of having position on your target is simple

if your target sees 50% of flops while the TAG at the table only sees 25%, even if your involvement in the pot was completely random you are still gonna be in twice as many pots with your target than the TAG

unless im wrong and as a poker player one should prefer to play the majority of their hands out of position, i don't see how a statement like this in an article will have anything but a negative affect on someone reading the magazine in an attempt to improve their poker ability
Old 05-19-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Enhancing your Multi-tabling - Position Advice

I agree. I'd take position on a fish over a TAG everyday of the week. The ability to isolate them is reason enough by itself. Not even taking into account that position lets you maximize how much money you can pull from them.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:37 PM

The worse your opponents play the less important position is, fish will also call two bets cold much more than TAGs will.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The worse your opponents play the less important position is, fish will also call two bets cold much more than TAGs will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Position matters on other streets besides preflop, and there are advantages to being in a pot HU with a fish rather than 3handed with a fish and a TAG.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:31 AM

Position matters much more postflop than preflop. I'll take a multiway pot with a TAG who is now OOP and a fish who will coldcall many bets than the other way around.

Think about it this way, do YOU play better in position? Me too.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Position matters much more postflop than preflop. I'll take a multiway pot with a TAG who is now OOP and a fish who will coldcall many bets than the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok since we seem to be in agreement about the fact that WE play better in position, do you for some reason play in more pots with TAGs than you do with high vpip players? unless you make a deliberate attempt to call when a tight player enters a pot and fold when a loose player does i think it's pretty close to mathematically impossible to play more against tight players than loose ones over time

i don't know maybe we have completely different ideas on how one makes money in poker, i always thought it was by playing against loose, bad players, but if you make most of your money in pots with tight players i can definitely see how you would rather have position on them
Old 05-22-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Which means that if the loosie is always in the pot, and the TAG is rarely in the pot, then having position on the TAG but not the loosie means I'm rarely going to be in position.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:53 PM

1. You want to be in position against the players you are going to be battling with the most (loose donkfish).

2. You can steal the button more often from TAGs and T-passives. You can also steal blinds more often.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ok since we seem to be in agreement about the fact that WE play better in position, do you for some reason play in more pots with TAGs than you do with high vpip players? unless you make a deliberate attempt to call when a tight player enters a pot and fold when a loose player does i think it's pretty close to mathematically impossible to play more against tight players than loose ones over time

i don't know maybe we have completely different ideas on how one makes money in poker, i always thought it was by playing against loose, bad players, but if you make most of your money in pots with tight players i can definitely see how you would rather have position on them

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise and a TAG calls or 3 bets.

Ok have fun.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fish will also call two bets cold much more than TAGs will.

I raise and a TAG calls or 3 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
you do realize you are contradicting yourself here right? it doesn't make sense to base a decision that will affect every hand you play on one of the most statistically unlikely situations you will end up in