Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 03:42 AM

Default Gobboboy has opinions too!

I saw you play at the Aussie Millions and was riveted by the strength of your table presence. Hope to see you next year!

I have just read your comments about Phil Hellmuth on your blog: http://www.wisehandpoker.com/blog/index.php/jfricke and thought you might be interested to hear my views about some of them. Just remember though that, like you, I am just one person who has his own opinion.

Your first comment is: "I've seen people play him in cash". I am not sure what you mean by this. Perhaps you can help me out by explaining your thoughts further. You seem to want to imply something, but I can't seem to make out exactly what it is. I would never in a million aussie years think that you are the kind of person that would say something negative about someone without any evidence.

Then you add: " ...I've talked to a bunch of people who have [seen him play in cash], and they say he's pretty laughable". There are thousands upon thousands of poker players in the world. A "bunch" is such a small sample that it cannot really be used as any evidence at all to base an intelligent belief upon. Mind you, I am not saying that they are wrong, just that I personally would need harder evidence to form an intelligent opinion about the matter.

Also, you say: "People like Hellmuth have such a table image from television that they get folds maybe 20% more than they should". And a little later say: "It would be easy to be Phil Hellmuth in tournaments if people always fold to you". Do you mean, "People like Hellmuth...get folds maybe 20% more than they should" while Hellmuth always gets people to fold to him? I am sure you can see here that your writing is a little unclear.

I don't think you are wrong in your thinking about Hellmuth. But that is because I cannot understand your arguments. I wonder perhaps that you just don't like him and are searching for reasons after the fact.

I certainly don't think you are a douchebag. Even though you are perhaps behaving a little like one.

So, how about it? I hope we will continue this conversation in a civilized manner as you promised.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Gobboboy has opinions too!

People play very straightforward against Phil and give up before trying to bluff him when they would be bluffing people they don't know. That's all I'm trying to say.

It's not that spectacular and I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me. Most tv pros get people to play pretty honestly against them because they are in 'awe' of playing with a champion. I don't mean anything other than that.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:31 AM

but then i've heard of the opposite experiences. didn't hachem and moneymaker both say after winning the ME and getting known, people started bluffing and making plays at them a lot more often?
Old 11-10-2007, 04:42 AM

Jimmy, I can understand some players being in awe of "tv stars" but doesn't that make them poor players? I mean, being a great poker player is more than calculating pot odds, right? It is about "heart" right? If a player's nerve cannot hold up under all circumstances then he has a lot to learn about the multi-faceted game we call poker. I mean, in certain situations it takes just as much "heart" to lay a good hand down as it does to put all the chips in the centre.

When I first saw you at the Aussie Millions I noticed Erik Seidel in seat 7 with what appeared to be a look of awe and bewilderment on his face. So it cuts both ways, right?

I think you make a good point, though. And it is something that more internet players need to take into account. I think after you publicly bringing this subject to our attention the weaker internet players are now in a position to work harder at this aspect of their game. And in future there will be no excuse as you have pointed them in the right direction to a level playing field.

And pointing the finger of blame at somebody else because we are afraid to bluff them only means we lack bluff. And pointing the finger is a bit weak too. We need to take responsibility for our own lack of courage rather than projecting the cause of our fears onto someone else. Taking responsibility for our own decisions is what makes someone a man, right?
Old 11-10-2007, 04:49 AM

I think you're overthinking it a bit but I don't really want to go into it. People aren't good at poker because they don't want to put a ton of time into their games and they don't have the correct resources to learn.

It's not about heart nearly as much as people want to think. The cards are going to be like they're going to be and it comes down to being in the right place at the right time. Hellmuth's image is that he's a nit and folds constantly so in actuality when he plays very aggressive and people play back at him he'll fold a tight range. His fundamentals can be off but his instincts are amazing, making his style very good for tournaments but not so good in cash games.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're overthinking it a bit but I don't really want to go into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cool, don't feel obliged. We both live in free countries and we can think whatever. You are free to walk away from this conversation whenever you like.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not about heart nearly as much as people want to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when you win a live tournament we will discuss this.

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth's...fundamentals can be off but his instincts are amazing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean his poker instincts?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hes won two and came in second in another

its funny that your requirement is that he win a live tournament (presumably one bigger than the two he did win) if he wants to discuss this with you. how many big tournaments have you won?

its kinda hard for gobboboy to play many live tournaments when he is under 21
Old 11-10-2007, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
he's won two and came in second in another

its funny that your requirement is that he win a live tournament (presumably one bigger than the two he did win) if he wants to discuss this with you. how many big tournaments have you won?

its kinda hard for gobboboy to play many live tournaments when he is under 21

[/ QUOTE ]

He has won a live event? I didn't know. But that still doesn't explain why is he afraid to have a civil conversation with me.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:43 AM

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=68936

but anyway, in how many live events have you come in second for 750k? its pretty goddamn presumptuous of you to say "we can discuss this when youve won a live tournament" when your experience with large buy in live tournaments begins and ends with watching them on tv

im amazed he even responded to this thread
Old 11-10-2007, 06:45 AM

congratulations