Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 10:11 PM

Default Economic Hitmen

I'm reading John Perkins book and I'm doing a little fact checking.

[ QUOTE ]
Torrijos' death generated charges and speculation that he was the victim of an assassination plot. For instance, in pre-trial hearings in Miami in May 1991, Noriega's attorney Frank Rubino was quoted as saying "General Noriega has in his possession documents showing attempts to assassinate General Noriega and Mr. Torrijos by agencies of the United States." Those documents were not allowed as evidence in trial, because the presiding judge agreed with the U.S. government's claim that their public mention would violate the Classified Information Procedures Act.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Torrijos

Anyone have any more information on this?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Economic Hitmen

[ QUOTE ]
I'm reading John Perkins book and I'm doing a little fact checking.

[ QUOTE ]
Torrijos' death generated charges and speculation that he was the victim of an assassination plot. For instance, in pre-trial hearings in Miami in May 1991, Noriega's attorney Frank Rubino was quoted as saying "General Noriega has in his possession documents showing attempts to assassinate General Noriega and Mr. Torrijos by agencies of the United States." Those documents were not allowed as evidence in trial, because the presiding judge agreed with the U.S. government's claim that their public mention would violate the Classified Information Procedures Act.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Torrijos

Anyone have any more information on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing specific, but it was well accepted at the time that the CIA, in cooperation with other intelligence agencies, would participate in assasinations.

Noriega himself was supposedly CIA connected, another boomerang in the "strange bedfellows" file.

web page
Old 07-29-2006, 05:27 AM

Default Panam hit

[ QUOTE ]
It was well accepted at the time that the CIA, in cooperation with other intelligence agencies, would participate in assasinations.

web page

[/ QUOTE ]No arguing with that -- except to point out that those (Latin American) intelligence agencies were also themselves directed by the CIA.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Panam hit

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was well accepted at the time that the CIA, in cooperation with other intelligence agencies, would participate in assasinations.

web page

[/ QUOTE ]No arguing with that -- except to point out that those (Latin American) intelligence agencies were also themselves directed by the CIA.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmm close...the CIA thought that those LA agencies were being directed by them.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Panama hat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Those (Latin American) intelligence agencies were also themselves directed by the CIA.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmm close...the CIA thought that those LA agencies were being directed by them.

[/ QUOTE ]Really? I guess it was sheer coincidence that all those coups went down exactly as the CIA wanted them. As to the fact that a significant numer of the officers doing the torture and the "disappearances" and the executions were trained in the School of the Americas, that was a coincidence as well.

I guess the secret agencies were directed by the KGB.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Panama hat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Those (Latin American) intelligence agencies were also themselves directed by the CIA.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Really? I guess it was sheer coincidence that all those coups went down exactly as the CIA wanted them. As to the fact that a significant numer of the officers doing the torture and the "disappearances" and the executions were trained in the School of the Americas, that was a coincidence as well.

I guess the secret agencies were directed by the KGB.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood my post. The LA agencies let the CIA think they controlled them until it was no longer +EV for them to do so.