Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Gobboboy has opinions too!

[ QUOTE ]
Has Hellmuth won a $10,000 buy in event since he won the 1989 main event, or come close?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/even...=r&n=12405
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so ppl folding to you is good?
apposed to trying to make moves on you?
are call you down light?

I dont think either one is better than the other. All 3 (tight, regular, aggressive) are the same IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my (admittedly limited) experience from playing with hellmuth deep in the event he eventually won, he would constantly make very small raises pf, followed up by VERY small bets on postflop streets. these bets would get enormous amounts of respect and people would play very straightforward against him because they knew that if they did something phil considered wrong, he was going to publicly shame them for their bad play. this was much more true of amateur players than the experienced players at the table, who didn't care. for experience, while i was there, jon turner (pearljammer online) absolutely ran hellmuth over.

amateurs are often a lot more concerned with being thought of as good players than they are with actually being good players. this is why you see people take 5 minutes after every hand they play to explain to you and anyone else that will listen exactly why they did what they did.

edit: also, i just wanted to say, that his style is definitely effective, given his persona. he's a smart guy and he's good at tournaments. i just don't think that any serious poker player would rank phil in like... the top 100, maybe not the top 500 cash game players in the world. certainly not online, where his people-reading skills (which are probably underestimated by most online guys) aren't there to make up for his poor/outdated fundamentals.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Has Hellmuth won a $10,000 buy in event since he won the 1989 main event, or come close?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/even...=r&n=12405

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought that was an invitational (no buyin)
Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 PM

how the hell has hellmuth won omaha hi/lo tournaments (regardless of buy in)?! It was PAINFUL watching him trying to play it in the $50k horse tourny.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GOBBO has opinions:
ice cream is delicious
cookies are awesome
exercise is not fun
its smart to say all other player suck on tv
it is surprising when Full Tilt doesnt like me after I DO EVERYTHING WRONG

[/ QUOTE ]

We get it Gobboboy is obese. Any other original observations you comedic genius?

Now back under the bridge for you.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
GOBBO has opinions:
ice cream is delicious
cookies are awesome
exercise is not fun
its smart to say all other player suck on tv
it is surprising when Full Tilt doesnt like me after I DO EVERYTHING WRONG

[/ QUOTE ]

We get it Gobboboy is obese. Any other original observations you comedic genius?

Now back under the bridge for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

the last two lines werent about his alarming obesity for a guy under 20. the last two lines were about him insulting his competition at Aussie Millions (bad sportsmanship and low-class) and then his surprisingly naive reaction when Full Tilt wanted nothing to do with his socially incompetent self.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:48 AM

Well you won't be coming to my birthday party.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:53 AM

Hey, gobboboy. Thought you played pretty well at the AM from what we saw. I'm wondering, has your opinion about Gus changed, considering his game has changed immensely over the past few years. Or did you always find him to be a good tournament HE player?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 AM

He's fine. Played pretty well. From the play in the tournament I have nothing bad to say about him at all other than he let me control the table 3 handed when he shouldn't have.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 AM

Mm, well you had the chip lead during most of the final three iirc, so it looked hard to contain your aggressiveness. Unfortunate that he got overly lucky heads up.

Back to the thread though: Hellmuth often says that he has hardly ever had a big loss playing HE cash games. I've also spoken to many who have played with him and they seem to corroborate this. Is it an exaggeration or is he a bigger loser than winner, and how would any of us really know, when all we have televised is a few hands from hsp. Also, in laments terms, it's well known that Hellmuth says he initially purposelessly plays hands bad for some sort of setting up play or something. I'm just recycling this as you probably already know, but what's your take on all that?