Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM

Default 10/10 Live facing overbet all in on turn

Game is 8 handed and I'm raising quite a bit but only showing down strong hands. I raise UTG to 60 with 1010, villian to my left calls and button (tight old guy with 1200) makes it 160. I call, villian calls. I have about 3500, and villian has same.

Flop: Q 10 5, rainbow. (500 in pot)

I check, villian bets 260, old guy folds, I call.

Turn: K. (1,000 in pot)
I check, villian pushes all in. 2900 more to me.

The villian had been playing loosely. Often he'd be showing down top pairs, with marginal kickers and such. My thinking was on the flop that I'd just call b/c he probably only had top pair and wanted hinm to think I was weak. Turn I wasn't sure what to make of his overbet. I didn't think he would play kk/qq like that preflop and I wasn't sure if I could put him on a hand like j9. So I called. What's the consensus?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Re: 10/10 Live facing overbet all in on turn

WTF? I'd probably call as well, but would be interested what others have to say about this.

I do think he could have J9, but actually the play makes a lot more sense with KJ/QJ/JT, KJ being most likely.

But what the F do I know, there's probably a reason I have to pay ppl to teach me how to win...
Old 06-06-2007, 05:02 AM

Seems like easy call if you are pretty certain he wouldn't play kk or qq like that. I can't imagine him playing aj like that either on the flop. KQ and KJ seem like most likely hands to me given the way you described him. J9 seems like possibility also but unlikely I think.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:22 AM

Really seems a pair + draw hand, most likely KJ. 55 is possible as well.
Why would he overbet the pot like that with AJ (which makes no sense on the flop) or J9?
It's a really easy call imo
Old 06-06-2007, 01:26 PM

I call, it is pretty unlikely that he has AJ. Given the way it has been played. I would expect to see someone overplaying AK, or a hand like KJ as another poster mentioned or KQ are his most likely holdings. Possibly J9, but I doubt you would be facing such a large over bet if he had a straight (Maybe he didn't estimate what was in the pot correctly?)

There is no way I can put him on a bigger set like QQ or KK
Old 06-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Well, I honestly don't think it's a sin to lose your stack to KK or QQ here. I agree that the PF play for those hands looks strange, and you win against 55. Of greater concern is indeed J9.

I'm really not enthusiastic about either of your checks. I think it's way better to bet out that flop at around $400 or so and hope you get raised. I mean, while old guy's re-raise was an easy call, you still need to get moving to play for stack when you set if you want sufficient value out of them in a re-raised pot.

Basically, I REALLY dislike the check-call line here, and I also see no reason why villain can't have J9.

Back to as played: I think his range here is 55, possibly QQ (I just can hardly see KK against most players, and QQ is also a fairly likely re-raise) and J9. Your betting here also looks crazily weak. I guess I call, but he's turning over J9 more than I'd like. Any read? As played, I definitely don't think a fold is horrible.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:55 PM

Having read the other posts, I guess KJ (hopefully KJs) or KQ are possible, although I always find it hard to believe that someone would play a hand like that in a re-raised pot--even though the re-raise is pretty passive. And if you've got those in there, then I suppose QT also has to be in there, although it's pretty unusual to bet 2 pair that passively on the flop.