Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: ***Official Ron Paul video thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From what I remember of a B&M thread about exactly this, that IS a minority view. Most people didn't care, they weren't sitting to socialize, but to take money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I may be an unusually principled individual. I accept that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call leaving that money in their hands unusually unprincipled.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:42 AM

Too much Adanthar, not enough of the stern black man rallying for the 16th.

"We've taken a lot of hits, but you know what, we gave one hell of a body blow." Now that's some powerful stuff.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 AM

adanthar,

I'm having some trouble understanding where your title came from, because every post you've ever made in this forum is anything but level-headed. Or was it sarcastic? You seem to make some of the most irrational emotion-based Fox News style arguments, even when compared to the other RP haters.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the government send back the money it gets from neo-nazi tax payers?

[/ QUOTE ]
These analogies are getting less and less analogous to the situation at hand.

In a capitalist, western political system, there are a number of ways one can show support for a candidate:

1) saying so
2) working on their campaign
3) donating money

Any candidate who fundamentally disagreed with Stormfront would not want the Stormfront folks from supporting them using mechanism #1 or #2, should also not accept their support via #3.

Similarly, if Osama Bin Laden endorsed a candidate, any candidate would reject it; if OBL was able to donate money to any candidate, any candidate would reject it.*

So, if we take the extreme view that there are some people who would be rejected, clearly, there is a line of what is acceptable. Let's work back from that line and figure out what is acceptable and what is not.

By taking the money from Stormfront, RP is saying that they are acceptable supporters. I disagree with him.

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul's position is he can spend this money better than they can.

[/ QUOTE ]
what sort of libertarian is he if he believes this?

*if RP supporters wish to argue that RP would welcome a donation/support from OBL, I will concede that I am wrong on this point.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a racist offers you $1,000,000 , you're turning him down? $5,000,000? There's no amount of money where you'd say, "Meh, okay, I guess I don't mind making you xamount poorer, and me xamount richer"?

[/ QUOTE ]
The difference is that I'm not running for President of the United States.

I want the Prime Minister of Australia, and the President of the United States, to be above bribing - by any amount. They should put their principles ahead of money - because I am supporting them on the basis of their principles.

I genuinely believe that the current Australian PM would be simply "not be for sale," at any amount, on any issue. I think that this is a good attribute in national leaders.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If a racist offers you $1,000,000 , you're turning him down? $5,000,000? There's no amount of money where you'd say, "Meh, okay, I guess I don't mind making you xamount poorer, and me xamount richer"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I want the Prime Minister of Australia, and the President of the United States, to be above bribing - by any amount. They should put their principles ahead of money - because I am supporting them on the basis of their principles.

I genuinely believe that the current Australian PM would be simply "not be for sale," at any amount, on any issue. I think that this is a good attribute in national leaders.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are complaining about this in a Ron Paul thread? Does not compute.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Similarly, if Osama Bin Laden endorsed a candidate, any candidate would reject it; if OBL was able to donate money to any candidate, any candidate would reject it.*

[/ QUOTE ]

A candidate can reject OBL's ideas while accepting his money.

[ QUOTE ]

By taking the money from Stormfront, RP is saying that they are acceptable supporters. I disagree with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a grocer who services a neo-nazi automatically supportive of the neo-nazis ideas?

Does america trading with china automatically mean they support all the views on actions of the chinese government?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better question is what i un-libertarian about this? Why would ask for money if he didnt think this was true. As long as he doesn't take the money by force this is consistent with libertarianism.

[ QUOTE ]

*if RP supporters wish to argue that RP would welcome a donation/support from OBL, I will concede that I am wrong on this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its okay to take a donation from hitler, so maybe that answers your question
Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

These analogies are getting less and less analogous to the situation at hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

As we are about to see.

[ QUOTE ]
In a capitalist, western political system, there are a number of ways one can show support for a candidate:

1) saying so
2) working on their campaign
3) donating money

Any candidate who fundamentally disagreed with Stormfront would not want the Stormfront folks from supporting them using mechanism #1 or #2, should also not accept their support via #3.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Paul wouldn't want neo-nazis vocally campaigning for him. It would only hurt his campaign

2) In the same vain as number 1 this could be viewed as representing Ron Paul's position.

3) No voice. No influence. Just money.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you equating someone's personal beliefs, no matter how irrational or vile, to the involvement in the murder of thousands of people?

[ QUOTE ]
So, if we take the extreme view that there are some people who would be rejected, clearly, there is a line of what is acceptable. Let's work back from that line and figure out what is acceptable and what is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

The line should be somewhere between murdering thousands of innocent civilians and exercising one's freedom of speech.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul is saying that money that originated from their bank account is acceptable to use to fund his campaign.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul's position is he can spend this money better than they can.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that RP ever made this statement.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt he would accept the donation. However, if people removed their emotional attachment to the situation, they would probably prefer that OBL's bank account be diminished in favor of RP's.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bribery indicates that one gives special treatment to those who give money. This isn't what we are talking about, and this is part of the reason Ron Paul is so appealing, he doesn't serve people who give him money.

I didn't say "would you accept $5,000,000 and in return become a racist?", because that isn't what is happening. It's, "would you accept $5,000,000, for nothing in return?"

Can't you see there is a big difference? In one instance, its bribery, in the other, its one person giving money away.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:34 AM

But donors to campaigns are not just giving money away.

They're contributing money because they hope a guy gets elected. They're an endorsement.

They are Stormfront saying that of all the candidates, Ron Paul is closest to our view.

If Ron Paul thinks they are wrong, he should return the money. If Ron Paul thinks they are right, he should keep the money.