Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Absolute Cheating

A guy posted earlier some info from Absolute's website - "Absolute Poker and the Absolute Poker website are solely owned and operated by Tokwiro Enterprises ENRG, Route 138, Kahnawake, Quebec J0L 1B0. Tokwiro Enterprises ENRG is owned by a Mohawk of Kahnawake and is operated from the sovereign nation of the Mohawks of Kahnawake, located near Montreal Quebec. The Mohawks of Kahnawake have an aboriginal right to conduct online gaming that is recognized and protected by the Canadian Constitution."

I don't know much about these reservations but it seems to me that Absolute IS based in Canada from this info.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and if this claim was leveled with EXACTLY the same data (screenshots, HH's and everything) but the $ amounts were downscaled proportionally to $1NL, there wouldn't be a single person who would think it was cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there would. Potripper's perfect "detect big pairs before they act" streak followed by his 10 high call is pretty much conclusive on its own. Everything else after that is just piling on.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 PM

Just because AP says they did not detect cheating does not mean that they didn't actually see anything wrong. A few posters (most prominently Dan Druff) have mentioned that AP simply can't admit they were hacked. The real test will be whether any of the suspect accounts show up again or if new accounts show the suspicious patterns. I'm sure the HS Limit players and Luckyjimm will be happy to let us know if this happens. So far, we haven't seen any of the suspect accounts since the reports earlier that the accounts were locked.

Sure, we want our pound of flesh, but the important thing is that AP and the other sites learn a lesson from this and patch their security holes.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:20 PM

iron,

The real problem with this issue is if we assume this happened with employee's/owner's/whoever at AP, then those people will simply be fired and others continue undetected. As has been stated multiple times, anybody with even marginal poker knowledge could get away with this undetected, even if luckyjimm himself were railing every high stakes player at the same time.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:24 PM

Somebody who lost money should get in touch with these guys and try and actually get something done about this situation - https://www.recol.ca/intro.aspx

This is the group that polices all types of online fraud in Canada.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because AP says they did not detect cheating does not mean that they didn't actually see anything wrong. A few posters (most prominently Dan Druff) have mentioned that AP simply can't admit they were hacked. The real test will be whether any of the suspect accounts show up again or if new accounts show the suspicious patterns. I'm sure the HS Limit players and Luckyjimm will be happy to let us know if this happens. So far, we haven't seen any of the suspect accounts since the reports earlier that the accounts were locked.

Sure, we want our pound of flesh, but the important thing is that AP and the other sites learn a lesson from this and patch their security holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna make a long blog post about this when I'm done playing tonight, but let me summarize its conclusions right now:

On one level, it may make sense for Absolute to do this, but on that same level, it makes zero sense for HS players to ever deposit a dollar there again.

You may think that since the games are going to be softer in the near future, you'd want to go back and give them a shot. Well, there's two problems with this:

1)You're relying on Absolute to be stonewalling while fixing their mistakes internally. What happens if they're simply dumb and the hacker is still out there, or if it's an inside job and he's just taking some poker lessons before trying again?

2)It's hard to play perfect poker at the best of times. Now you're gonna have to wonder whether an unknown can see your cards whenever he raises you off your missed overcards twice in a row. You think you're gonna be playing optimally vs. him for the next hour? How about in the big MTT's, where timex already panicked enough to make a thread about it once? Hell, that guy could've really been cheating and decided to tank the tournament to deflect suspicion. You'll never know. Have fun working out your new, updated EV, cause I'm not gonna be the one sticking up for you and compiling a body of evidence after Absolute quite clearly admitted they're not going to act publicly.

My prediction is that no high stakes player that is aware of this scandal is ever going to play optimally at Absolute for a very long time, and it's going to send your EV straight through the floor even without the benefit of any hacking. GP and a few others might prove me wrong over the long run, or they might not. Remember that in the long run, it only takes one giant hole card cammed pot to wipe out a couple of weeks' worth of rungood.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Yeah your logic makes sense but I haven't seen any evidence and I could probably bet money that he didn't have the same stats before.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not:
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...-not-to-cheat/
... somebody well know agrees with us and worded it amazingly in very non-poker terms.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Stop Railbird Speculation

Wow you're a little testy on this. You don't need to get in a major huff or anything. There a lot random speculation to wade through.

Ok the chip dumping looks more convincing. In any case it should be pretty easy to verify on AP's end.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Stop Railbird Speculation

Was pretty easy for AP. They denied the chip dumping rather quickly
Closed Thread