Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Should I go Pro? #132890213 (long)

update:

I have been on the biggest upswing of my life. +40k in the past week. Took some shots at 10 20 and am doing really well. BR = 100K

I have decided, if I make ANOTHER 100k over summer, I will take time off.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
update:

I have been on the biggest upswing of my life. +40k in the past week. Took some shots at 10 20 and am doing really well. BR = 100K

I have decided, if I make ANOTHER 100k over summer, I will take time off.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a 36 year old with a lot more perspective on life than you, I URGE you to consult with a financial advisor immediately. Like tomorrow. You have the potential to set up the rest of your life financially if you are smart. If you have the will power to sock away 95% of your earn then quitting school isn't horrible because you can always go back. However, if you don't have the discipline to save the vast majority of your winnings then you will be walking down a very dangerous path.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:12 PM

grim,

stay away from those 10/20 6 max games unless you are table selecting well

you are not ready for BLd, BBuddy, HEK, Tizerd, teacuppoker, et al
Old 04-27-2006, 03:08 PM

I just wanted to add one thing that no one seems to have touched on.

Matt Damon dropped out of Law School with a 30k bankroll in Rounders, and I'm sure everything went fine for him and he probably got to bone Jean Gray too.

You've got a 100k Bankroll and you're only a freshmen.

100K Bankroll + 1 Year of College > 30K Bankroll + Unspecified amount of graduate work.

Totally sounds like a go.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:16 PM

I never saw rounders.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:20 PM

Id just do a part time poker thing. A lot of kids work part-time jobs in college, so just make that your job. Your also freakin rich for a college kid and can have loads and loads of fun in school. Cmon what girl won't wanna be with a guy who nine tables 1000 max! Have fun, finish school, keep making money.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:22 PM

Part-time poker+college is so much better for so many reasons than full-time it's not even close. You can play 20 hours a week EASILY and still have a killer social life, do well in school, and keep your parents happy.

If we were talking full-time job+part-time poker that would be an entirely different story. But the best possible solution for you is to continue school and make wads of cash to spend or invest in your spare time.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:24 PM

I gotta thank everyone for all the great advice you've been giving me.

I still can't make up my mind. This will be a long, fun summer filled with lots of poker playing and partying with old pals but I will definately keep this thread updated as to whether or not I decide to give it a go as a pro.

lol
Old 04-27-2006, 03:49 PM

Grimstar,

Dude don't drop out. I have a GPA > 3.0, i never go to class, i work 30 hours a week at a competitive job that sometimes requires me to work the weekends. I also play a ton of poker, except during finals. Then i cash out dollars and say "don't play sucka".

What is the minimum # of credits you need to be a full time student? At NYU it's 12. So if you went to NYU I would suggest you take 12 credits. It gets you on University health insurance which is a +. It keeps in touch with people your age (girly girls), and it will give a sense of responsibility. It's not "good for the brain" to not be disciplined.

"OMG but then how do i graduate on time?" Take 1 summer course each summer semester. Play poker the rest of the time. I really think this is a great plan.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:12 PM

You know, poker has been around for hundreds of years, and it doesn't seem like the fish are going to be extinct anytime soon. Stay in college, where getting laid is as easy as a few beers and some light conversation about how classes suck. Drink, smoke, roam about campus and enjoy the air. Go into a major that you like and is not as super complex as engineering; you can get good grades in economics or something just by doing light reading, getting people's outlines, going to roughly 50% of your classes. Get in 20 hrs of poker a week, play harder during the summer, but enjoy your time while it lasts. Trust me - you don't enjoy these kind of intoxicated freedoms on a 24/7 basis when you are 25 and trying to pay for an apartment AND/OR working 12hrs a day.

It's understandable that you want to invest time NOW into poker so you can live the "rest of your life" freely. Why not be free now and then at 22 or 23, go out and do the poker thing with a degree; if it doesn't work out at that time, at least you had college to enjoy.
Closed Thread