Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: OT: Three weeks of losing

FJ,

I understand the reason to end the blog, but a lot of people don't. Most poker players have a skewed view about how others see us from the outside. Their stance is that poker is gambling cuz ITS ALL LUCK, and that even tho you're winning now, you will eventually lose.

They don't understand the term "variance." They don't know what SNGPT is. Some might not even know what it means to be an 80% favorite.

When they see you losing, it shows them that poker REALLY IS luck. You'll hear the whole "You can't win every time. See, look how much you just lost in one week! You didnt stop after losing $5k!? You have a gambling problem!!"

Everyone will hear this from a non poker playing friend. They don't understand the swings, so why subject them to the information. The safest thing (if you even like sharing your profits/losses) would be to give a net profit at the end of each month. This way, even if you lose 10k in a day, if you have a nice little run at the end of the month, no one will ever say you're a crazy degenerate gambler who can't control himself.

Btw, i read your blog over anyone elses because it was the most honest and interesting. But seeing how you are dealing with the downswings is pretty bad. Especially if you have nonpoker playing people reading that, you really shouldnt talk about how you are the unluckiest person in the world - you'll just make the haters keep hating.

Jason

- Rambling is fun. I think this was more pointed toward the FJ basher(s) in this thread who cant fathom a decent reason that he took down the blog. IT MAKES SENSE.