Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Heyman: Miggy is on the block.

yeah i think the tribe are way better off keeping shoppach, v-mart is going to be able to put in less and less time at catcher over the next few years and shoppach is a good, cheap backup.

[censored] i wish we had him, our backup sucks balllls
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did someone delete a totally benign post of mine in this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure that if you reply to a post that gets deleted, your post goes away with it as well
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 PM

yeah one of the options in thread management is to 'delete this post and all replies,' it is a quick and easy way to prevent thread derailment.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its depressing how the phillies are never in these conversations. if we had a good farm system i'm sure we'd try and land him, but we simply don't (in fact, it sucks)

[/ QUOTE ]

Phillies are kinda in the hunt, gillick went down there to talk yesterday and they asked for victorino and carlos carrasco. Or at least thats what pro sports daily said.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.Shoppach, too, since he can spell Vic and basically be a half starter/half backup.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way that shoppach has more value to the Indians, his bat and arm are big league ready. Over hte past 2 seasons he's played in ~100 games and his avg/ops/slg% over those games would put him in the top 10 offensive catchers for last year, and he threw out 36% of sb attempts. figure in that he's still young at 24 and can improve his hitting and is very very cheap he should find himself as a starting catcher somewhere very soon.

EDIT: I was off on his age, just checked and hes 27, makes him much less valuable. He must have been 24/25 when he was traded to the indians.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its depressing how the phillies are never in these conversations. if we had a good farm system i'm sure we'd try and land him, but we simply don't (in fact, it sucks)

[/ QUOTE ]

Phillies are kinda in the hunt, gillick went down there to talk yesterday and they asked for victorino and carlos carrasco. Or at least thats what pro sports daily said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would happily do that.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 AM

I think everyone may be getting ahead of themselves here. All that was said was basically that they would be willing to listen to offers on Cabrera (and technically Loria has not even confirmed this yet). Obviously for the right offer any player in the game could be traded, I don't think it will end up happening in this case.
The Marlins really are not that far off from competing..they are severely lacking in starting pitching, but that's it. They have a good offense with only 2 weak spots that could easily be fixed cheaply, and their bullpen is amazing. The only way I can see them even considering a deal for Cabrera is if they are receiving 2 young major league ready starters. The odds of a trade like this coming together seem unlikely from any team. Trading Cabrera would leave a huge hole in their offense that would be impossible to replace this season. Yes, he is going to cost about 10 million, but they paid him around 7 last year, they have him for 2 more seasons and if they are going to compete they will need him. I feel they are very close to being a competitive team, especially now that their division is so weak, and I don't see them throwing that away to save such a small amount of money.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would happily do that.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is my reaction as well. Only concern is how much longer he can play 3B. Obviously we can't move him to 1B.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel they are very close to being a competitive team, especially now that their division is so weak, and I don't see them throwing that away to save such a small amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very wishful thinking imho. The Phillies and Mets may not be the Sox and Yankees but they are still definitly better than the Marlins. Also the Marlins pitching problems are not so easily solved. They're not competing anytime soon.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think everyone may be getting ahead of themselves here. All that was said was basically that they would be willing to listen to offers on Cabrera (and technically Loria has not even confirmed this yet). Obviously for the right offer any player in the game could be traded, I don't think it will end up happening in this case.
The Marlins really are not that far off from competing..they are severely lacking in starting pitching, but that's it. They have a good offense with only 2 weak spots that could easily be fixed cheaply, and their bullpen is amazing. The only way I can see them even considering a deal for Cabrera is if they are receiving 2 young major league ready starters. The odds of a trade like this coming together seem unlikely from any team. Trading Cabrera would leave a huge hole in their offense that would be impossible to replace this season. Yes, he is going to cost about 10 million, but they paid him around 7 last year, they have him for 2 more seasons and if they are going to compete they will need him. I feel they are very close to being a competitive team, especially now that their division is so weak, and I don't see them throwing that away to save such a small amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Division is weak? Are you crazy? I think if the Marlins could get a good return on investment here...and I am CERTAIN somebody will manage to find an overpayment offer if the Marlins are really looking to deal...they should do it for sure. I mean the course of action that makes the most sense for the Marlins is to either A) trade miggy, set a time horizon for 3 years when they will still have their other young assets..or B) deal as many people who will be free agents after this season as possible, and go crazy in the market next offseason, possibly landing CC or Santana, and some bat to make their once every five years push.

James