Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever their definition of "worth it" is. That's open to interpretation. I'm mainly just curious to see how many people and how often they don't tip. I guess a flat % rate from various restaurants of people not tipping / leaving a tip 5% or under or something would suffice.

[/ QUOTE ]

from working in restaurants, i have gone literally months without seeing someone get stiffed without a major complaint about service. nobody does it. not tipping = being a jerk, period.

there is an implied contract between you and the server when you come in and order from them. i'm sure you'll respond by saying 'well it's not a legally binding contract' or whatever, but the bottom line is you are operating in bad faith and are a douche.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your point is invalid, oddjob, because you should expect people to fight vitriol with vitriol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did it take me this long to add you to my ignore list?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and as for the guy that said the 6+ person included tip rule is dumb, it's not. people are morons and can't calculate tips, especially when taxes are involved. they think they're tipping 15-20% when they're tipping 0-10%. and if you think the tip is unreasonable, its not like you have to pay it by law.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. plus it is like a cardinal rule that if you take six guys who are average tippers and put them in a group paying situation, at least two of them will short the bill.

i hate getting hit with an auto-grat when i go out with a group but it doesn't surprise me. what really pisses me off is when they decide in advance they're going to auto-grat you and you get lousy service.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 PM

At my college graduation dinner, I went upstairs to the bar with my cousins to get a drink. We ordered about three beers each and at the end of the third, the bartender said, "hey do you guys plan on leaving a tip... I have to make a living you know." (I guess he was expecting me to tip him after each drink I had ordered) I told him "not anymore" and went back downstairs

After spending over a grand downstairs, I was slmost tempted to ask for the manager of the restaurant.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM

Boris,

Don't go to Europe.

Yugoslav
Old 11-06-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
plus it is like a cardinal rule that if you take six guys who are average tippers and put them in a group paying situation, at least two of them will short the bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

It blows me away how often this happens when going out in groups. It also always amazes me that it's never anyone's fault.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess he was expecting me to tip him after each drink I had ordered

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't it normal to do so? Unless you had a tab of course.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boris,

Don't go to Europe.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that? I've been to Europe lots and never had any problems.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your point is invalid, oddjob, because you should expect people to fight vitriol with vitriol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did it take me this long to add you to my ignore list?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when people add me to their ignore list, because it's way better than them whining illogically and incessantly about me, but I'm curious: why do people who do this (and even on AIM -- "blocked" and etc.) always have to let the person know they did? Attention? To let me congratulate you? I mean, if I'm that bad, why wouldn't you just ignore me and be on with it? I'd figure that's what a bigger man would do.

I guess someone who doesn't have me ignored can explain this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

from working in restaurants, i have gone literally months without seeing someone get stiffed without a major complaint about service. nobody does it. not tipping = being a jerk, period.

there is an implied contract between you and the server when you come in and order from them. i'm sure you'll respond by saying 'well it's not a legally binding contract' or whatever, but the bottom line is you are operating in bad faith and are a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is you're simply making generic descriptions of actions with no explanation. "Don't tip = [censored]." Okay. That kind of thinking has never bothered me and never will. Don't like my reasons? Then point out the logical flaw. Can't? Agree to disagree. Interpret one reasoned action as a indictment of my character because... um, why again?

Here are the reasons I've gathered:

-- Because everyone does it.
-- Because in America you're supposed to and that's why you go out to eat.
-- Because they don't get paid well.

Does that cover all the bases? Well, fine: I don't care about any of those reasons. Those reasons have no bearing on my own decision-making process. My standard is simple: live up to my expectations when I go out to eat and you will be greatly rewarded. Disagree with my expectations? Something else entirely. Since my expectations are so rarely met, I intentionally tip big when they are met to reward them. If not, I never go back there again and I don't tip. If that's such a gross "miserly" conduct, I will somehow manage to live with myself.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At my college graduation dinner, I went upstairs to the bar with my cousins to get a drink. We ordered about three beers each and at the end of the third, the bartender said, "hey do you guys plan on leaving a tip... I have to make a living you know." (I guess he was expecting me to tip him after each drink I had ordered) I told him "not anymore" and went back downstairs

After spending over a grand downstairs, I was slmost tempted to ask for the manager of the restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to clarify, are you saying you were planning on tipping at the end but then didn't because he asked? is there a reason you weren't tipping for each drink? was it on a tab or were you paying cash for each round?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just to clarify, are you saying you were planning on tipping at the end but then didn't because he asked? is there a reason you weren't tipping for each drink? was it on a tab or were you paying cash for each round?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he was paying cash but what is he supposed to do, after every drink is poured lay down a dollar bill? why not just wait until all six beers are served and then tip? i assume he was waiting at the bar for the 6 to be poured or something.