Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Full Ring 101 Questions - N00Bs ask here

I have a question about table image.

In MTTs, where I started playing, a strategy that makes sense to me and which I used a lot was to play super tight at the early levels in order to build the image necessary to successfully steal/resteal when stacks get short.

However, it seems as though the opposite strategy (i.e. creating the image of a maniac in order to get paid off by monsters) makes more sense in cash games, as blinds are always small as a % of stacks.

Does anyone here use this second strategy, or is it stupid? And if you do use it, what are some tips for building the image of a maniac without spewing chips?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question about table image.

In MTTs, where I started playing, a strategy that makes sense to me and which I used a lot was to play super tight at the early levels in order to build the image necessary to successfully steal/resteal when stacks get short.

However, it seems as though the opposite strategy (i.e. creating the image of a maniac in order to get paid off by monsters) makes more sense in cash games, as blinds are always small as a % of stacks.

Does anyone here use this second strategy, or is it stupid? And if you do use it, what are some tips for building the image of a maniac without spewing chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of ppl use the 2nd style (LAGtastic to start, then tighten up and let the money roll in from the image uve portrayed). i dont see the point of doin it when playin a lot of tables, and generally wont. however, if im play 4-6 tables i might do this...and i esp do this live (tho it sucks when u go card dead for the next 3hrs making u have to restart ur image later).

online u use more Meta-game type stuff rather than per-table image building at FR. (6max is a different story. and playin 40/32 to start a sesh then slowwin down to 20/16 is very very very very ideal and profitable)
Old 10-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Why does Pstars cap the number of cash games you can play at 12 tables, yet they let the annoying HevadKhans of the world play 45 sngs at a time??? Any chance they will raise this cap to 16 or 20?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does Pstars cap the number of cash games you can play at 12 tables, yet they let the annoying HevadKhans of the world play 45 sngs at a time??? Any chance they will raise this cap to 16 or 20?

[/ QUOTE ]

its simple biz. when u play MTTs/SNGs, u pay rake with ur entry fee. they (the site) doesnt care how long it takes, or if u sit out for that matter. however, in cash games, money comes in from the rake. if u sit out, u plug up the rake. if u take a long time cuz ur playin too many tables, ur pluggin the rake. if u sit out, u increase the chance that the table will close down cuz ppl hate playin short, hence plugging the rake.

understand yet?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 PM

QUESTION

Why is it called a 3bet when you reraise preflop? Because you count the BB as a raise?

Is a reraise post flop called a 3bet?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QUESTION

Why is it called a 3bet when you reraise preflop? Because you count the BB as a raise?

Is a reraise post flop called a 3bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3-bet is an old limit term. Somebody raises the big blind it's the 2'nd bet. You raise them it's the 3rd bet. It just got applied to NL over the years.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its simple biz. when u play MTTs/SNGs, u pay rake with ur entry fee. they (the site) doesnt care how long it takes, or if u sit out for that matter. however, in cash games, money comes in from the rake. if u sit out, u plug up the rake. if u take a long time cuz ur playin too many tables, ur pluggin the rake. if u sit out, u increase the chance that the table will close down cuz ppl hate playin short, hence plugging the rake.

understand yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya and I definitely understand. I'm just wondering if there was ever a thread where someone from pokerstars addressed why 12 was determined to be the optimal max instead of 9 or 14.

And if there is any chance for that number to ever increase.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:59 PM

I have a couple questions about pot control.

Should the concept of checking the turn to control the size of the pot only be applied when you have position on your opponent?

How about if you are against more than one opponent and the board is somewhat coordinated. Are you better off continuing to be aggressive in this spot to protect a hand even though it might make for a more difficult river decision?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

understand yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya and I definitely understand. I'm just wondering if there was ever a thread where someone from pokerstars addressed why 12 was determined to be the optimal max instead of 9 or 14.

And if there is any chance for that number to ever increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is some chance that the max table limit will go up to 16 being that FTP just upped theirs a few days ago.

however, as far as the general poker eco-system is concerned...its probably not the brightest move for the LR of the game. and PS has generally been pretty aware of the poker eco-system and how to grow and maintain it. so very good chance they wont budge on 12

and no, i havnt the slighest idea why 12 is the number and not 10. o well =)
Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 PM

O.K. so i finally figured out how to post hand histories, now I cant post graphs. I already have the pokergrapher, i just don't know how to get it from there to here. I tried awhile ago by using imageshack and some other host, but couldnt figure it out.

Help?!!