Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Why is Paul Running as a Republican?

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the best way to describe it is that at some point when your core views diverge more and more from the views of the group you really shouldn't consider yourself a part of the group any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

If you could conveniently not have to partake in the consequence of that group's beliefs, then sure you should just not play along.

But since whether we like it or not, the Democrats and Republicans are the only shows that influence anything, it's weird that you think someone should just stay out of it when he disagrees.

People take offense because the bias you're exposing is really [censored] scary. I'd like to say I'm surprised that people actually think this way. But sadly I'm used to it.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is with your calling Dr. Paul names because he doesn't conform to your private political labeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

What names have I called him???? You are really thin-skinned about Ron Paul.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You say Ron Paul represents himself as the sort of person who will sell short his ideas for political gain. On what basis do you say this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because, by running as a Republican (a party that I suspect he disagrees with more than he agrees) instead of a third-party he actively demonstrates his political opportunism (a trait that I don't think he wants to project.) In his words he tries to convey how different he is from everyone else, yet he chooses to run in one of the two big parties just like everyone else. It makes him less credible to me.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Why is Paul Running as a Republican? *DELETED*

Post deleted by mjkidd
Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You say Ron Paul represents himself as the sort of person who will sell short his ideas for political gain. On what basis do you say this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because, by running as a Republican (a party that I suspect he disagrees with more than he agrees) instead of a third-party he actively demonstrates his political opportunism (a trait that I don't think he wants to project.) In his words he tries to convey how different he is from everyone else, yet he chooses to run in one of the two big parties just like everyone else. It makes him less credible to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So people can't work to change a party's platform?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the best way to describe it is that at some point when your core views diverge more and more from the views of the group you really shouldn't consider yourself a part of the group any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because words should have meaning.

[ QUOTE ]
If you could conveniently not have to partake in the consequence of that group's beliefs, then sure you should just not play along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really sure what you're saying.

[ QUOTE ]
But since whether we like it or not, the Democrats and Republicans are the only shows that influence anything, it's weird that you think someone should just stay out of it when he disagrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think he would be more effective if he ran as a true outsider. As it is now, he's playing a little game by wanting the benefits of being an "outsider" without the costs. He's being disingenuous, in my opinion, to call himself a republican.

[ QUOTE ]
People take offense because the bias you're exposing is really [censored] scary

[/ QUOTE ]

What bias is that? When someone claims to be x they should actually be x.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My problem is with your calling Dr. Paul names because he doesn't conform to your private political labeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

What names have I called him???? You are really thin-skinned about Ron Paul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell-out.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but at some point when you want to RADICALLY change it, you aren't a part of the group any more. I have no problem with party positions gradually evolving.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but at some point when you want to RADICALLY change it, you aren't a part of the group any more. I have no problem with party positions gradually evolving.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just won't allow them to evolve less "gradually."

Thanks for clearing that up. I've notified Dr. Paul's office of your orders.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just won't allow them to evolve less "gradually."

Thanks for clearing that up. I've notified Dr. Paul's office of your orders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll have some of my jack-booted thug friends arrest him. I won't "allow" it to evolve less gradually. Seriously, it's like you've become a parody of yourself.