Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: X-Post: poker pro - hardest job there is?

While not being a pro, I do think that nurses & doctors working at ER in major city do have a slightly harder job. You have to make quick decisions to call/fold that can cost you few hundred bucks, they have to make quick decisions that can mean difference between life and death.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:40 AM

thinly veiled beat?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing professionally now (admittedly not for very long), but I had time to watch the entire first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer last week.

So no, the job's not very hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get to the third season, please tell the main villain that I miss him/her/it dearly and will always love him/her/it and hope that he/she/it returns some day.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I dare you to try cold calling for even 20 hrs/week and see how long you could handle that before you want to stab yourself in the ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean we can't 3-bet at ALL?

Sounds kinda stressful, but I don't think I'd want to stab myself in the ear.

Seriously, OP is kind of an idiot. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm PRETTY sure that folks that make $50 or $100 or $300 an hour usually work harder than the average poker pro. Just a tiny tiny bit.

I remain amazed at the fact that each big blind I post is more than most people make in an hour, and that each pot I win is usually more than most people make in a day. To the extent that a downswing is stressful . . . I think I can get over it.

On the other hand, if you suck, and are playing 6 tables 50 hours a week just so the rakeback you make can net you a grand a week, because you're a break-even player . . . well, you're still kind of a whiny bitch, but you've got more of a case.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Fire dude : Sit around even more. Go have fun fighting fire when bells rings - cool job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the ho's chasing your engine down the burning street.

Being a poker pro is like being LeBron James and getting paid to play basketball. You are doing something you are good at (hopefully?) and you get paid tons of money (hopefully?) to do it. I play poker for money, but moreso, I play because I enjoy it as well.

It's kinda like asking that age old question when you're in 7th grade... "if you won the lottery and never had to work again, what would you do?" then that answer is supposed to be the field of work you get into... well, I'd play tons of poker.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:01 AM

whatever job i'm currently doing is "the hardest job in the world"